1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should you come out if you are bisexual?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChloeAllison, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ChloeAllison

Okay, the question sounds weird but bare with me. For years I simply forced myself to believe I was straight, then when I accepted I was bi I still felt like I could simply choose to ignore the girls and date guys and never have to tell my parents. Finally, I am at a point where I am more ready to allow myself to live more truthfully and go with my feelings. BUT I have no reason to come out. I keep thinking...I don't have a girlfriend and what if the next person I fall for is a boy and I ruin relationships over nothing. On the other hand it is hard not having people know an essential part of you.
    I really don't know, should I wait until I need to come out?

2. PeytonRose

I'm that same way. My mom is a devout Catholic and I shudder to think what she will do/say when she finds out. I haven't had a relationship with another guy (yet) so I've only told a handful of people. I figure that when the time comes, I'll know it and I'll tell her, but on the other hand, I'd rather tell her and get it over with.

3. ChloeAllison

Thanks for the reply. Yah I also want to tell them but I know they will react badly so it feels almost like I am clinging on to the time I have left before they stop talking to me. I really love them so part of me feels like upsetting them might not even be worth getting it off my chest. Good luck with your mom. It will take a lot of courage to tell her but maybe it will end up better then we thought, yay? Keep me updated?

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Well, one question to ask yourself is what is that you need to do? What would feel better for you? It sounds like you want others to know 'an essential part of you.' If that is the case, you have a reason to come out.

Even though your parents might react badly at first, there is always the chance that they will come around to it, in their own time. Giving them the space to do so, and even though it can be hard and frustrating, could help them in eventually accepting it.

That said, you can always come out to other people in your life first too, and build a support network around you that will allow you to weather the storm if there is one.

It will come down to, as what you feel to be important to/for yourself.

5. Hexagon

You are bi. Its a part of you. If the next boy you fall in love with can't handle that, then find a better one. You shouldn't be expected to hide who you are.

6. biggayguy

You should do what makes you feel good about yourself.

7. PeytonRose

I'll definitely keep you guys updated :wink:

It's only a matter of time before I tell more people. I've told my siblings and my closest friends and they're all extremely supportive. My siblings however, share my trepidation and think that I should wait in telling my mom. I want to tell her just to get it out of the way, but as I mentioned, I'm scared to, and I keep moving to the worst possible outcome of telling her...

8. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should come out. It's not fair to you to hide a part of yourself because of other peoples' ignorance. If they don't accept you then that's their loss. I'm sure you're a wonderful girl and being bisexual doesn't change that. Not only that, anyone you choose to date deserves to know. I mean, some people do not want to date someone who is not heterosexual. It's nothing personal, but people have the right to choose who they want to date or not as well. I wish you the best of luck and come out only when you're ready c:

9. Tex

Tex

Currently North Dakota; Michigan at heart.
    Pretty much same boat here.

I just don't feel like I need to tell everyone honestly, I feel like people will think I'm just being an attention getter, which I don't care if they think that but I just don't see the *need* to tell everyone at this moment. At the same time I do feel like I need some people to know, just so it's out there.

I'm just going to play it day by day I think, and if it feels right, do it. You know?

10. ChloeAllison

Wow. Thanks for all the amazing replies :slight_smile: I had never really thought about telling my parents not being the end of our relationship but I more I am on here the more I am beginning to hope that even if the freak out, we are really close so maybe...well maybe it won't be the end of the world. I don't think I will tell them right away (we live across the world from each other and I don't want to do it on Skype) but if it still feels right next year I will do it then. Thank you guys so much for all your advice. It really helped.

11. gamma

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I might not be the best person to give advice on this, but I think telling people to the point where you no longer feel closeted is pretty important.
    Every single person on this planet doesn't need to know, but you shouldn't have to feel like you're hiding an essential part of yourself just to keep your parents from being upset.
    And if the person you fall for next happenes to be a guy, wouldn't you want to know that he likes you for all that is you? :slight_smile:

12. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As being Bi, part of me wants to come out, but the other part wants to keep that aspect of myself hidden.

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2013 at 10:02 AM ----------

Do what ever your heart tells you

13. PeytonRose

Congrats on the decision Chloe! Keep us updated!

14. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's really something you should decide for yourself. Do you feel guilt about them not knowing or does it not really bother you that they're unaware of this? There are repercussions of coming out, both good and bad. And it's different being bisexual because there is technically that option to hide it and if you don't currently have any interest in a particular person of the same sex then it may be easier to hide it. However, it does limit your freedom to express yourself in ways which you may or may not want.

It all comes down to how restricted you feel at the moment. If you're fine with others not knowing, don't force yourself to come out. A person's sexuality is always their business and just because someone isn't straight doesn't mean they absolutely have to announce it to the world. Lots of people do because the general assumption (unless you display certain stereotypical characteristics) is that one is heterosexual, but if it's not something you want to do, never feel pressured into doing it.

Just think about how you feel and weigh up the advantages and disadvantages. You'll come to the right decision for you I'm sure :slight_smile:

15. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I pretty much posted the same thing when I first joined and soon after came to the conclusion that I should still come out, because if I do want to go out with a girl I don't want it to be a big shock to everyone, and if I do end up with a guy then I want him to know I'm bi rather than me hiding it. Still in the coming out process though and not looking forward to telling the parents.

16. geeney1111

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I came out as bi about 6 months ago to close family and most my friends. I'm yet to meet any girl i've had a connection with so at times I do wonder if i've jumped the gun by telling everyone i'm bi before actually meeting anyone to base my suspicions on. However - telling my friends something so important to me has made our friendships so much closer and meaningful. I've been friends with one of my friends for 20 years and she recently told me she always felt there was a small distance between us but she couldnt put her finger on what it was. Now i've trusted her with something that has upset me for so long she feels honoured I trusted her, proud to be the person I told and now we can chat about what is really on my mind. So I guess what i'm trying to say is, dont underestimate how much your friends love you and how pleased they will be to be able to share this with you. Also, with every person I told it a) got easier but b) helped me to accept it myself. Thats my biggest struggle really, coming to terms with it myself and now I have a little fan club in my closest friends they are pushing me towards a life I always suspected I wanted but never had the guts to go for.

17. addie88

Personally I think it would suck if you got a girlfriend but still hadn't told your parents. Because it's enough to tell parents about a significant other- let alone tell them that the person is a member of the same sex. If you tell them sooner rather than later, they have time to adjust before they have to meet someone.

18. LILuke

Really comes down to your personal situation. My opinion is that you probably should come out at least to your close friends and immediate family, but there is nothing saying that you absolutely have to.

19. biT3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I heard it said that dying alone was not such a good thing, but far worse...was living alone. I am not ready to die, but I am tired of living a lie...alone etc.
    I am as gay as anyone & straight as anyone... I love my times with women & men... no real preference. haven't had a man in my bed for a long time.... 1982 to be exact. Too many worries about a.i.d.s et.al.
    guess this is my big coming out day.... in this forum. hey, I'm bi...love it. Love being a bitch, as well as a guy. So sad, all this time has passed and nothing was ever accomplished to ease my way into an open lifestyle. Every time I get near wagging my ass down the aisle of the public shopping whatever, I get afraid..fear wins out. I guess at my age, doesn't make much difference... yet i am still alive...I still feel... still feel imprisoned in silence....loneliness. My dear sister, Charles, died in the early 90's of A.I.D.S... he knew my secrets...we were sisters. Loved to get in drag & get dinged...yow.
    But then he died, the sun came out....the fog left & cold reality set in. Now it is just live in silence, no one knowing nothing......wow

20. Cerith23

I'd at least come out to a couple people. I'm out to my parents as bi, and they accept me, and if friends come and go because of my orientation then I'll still have them.