1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by phil2008, Jun 1, 2008.

1. phil2008

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi All,

Anybody in here being treated for "major depression"? I had heard that it is a big problem among gays and am looking for others to share my misery. :eusa_doh:

Phil

2. Jim1454

Hi Phil. I'm sorry you're struggling with this.

The short answer to your question is yes - there are others here that have suffered from or are suffering with depression. To varying degrees. Myself included.

Part of the challenge is getting out of your own head so that the negative thinking doesn't just circle around forever in there. And this site might be really heplful for you, as it allows you to interact in a really safe way (i.e. anonymously) with other gay and bi people and discuss things you've probably never been able to discuss with someone before.

So hang out here and see how it goes for you. Misery loves company, but you'll also find this place to be a really positive, friendly and encouraging one! So welcome to EC from Jim in Toronto!!!

3. phil2008

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Jim,

You're awesome. It's just what I needed to hear. I do believe that much of my depression and anxiety stems from things that are pent up in me that I need to "get out." So far, the folks here are wonderful - positive and supportive.

Have a great week!

Phil

4. s5m1

Hi Phil, as I may have mentioned in my PM, I went through a long period of depression, which I ultimately learned was rooted in my internal struggles with sexuality. I am completely over it now. You will get there eventually. Hang in there.

5. PopUpsSuck17

Yeah, I've got depression, but it's gotten a lot better since I started to more of . . . accept myself. Like the others said . . . hang in there, and this is a great place that has a LOT of potential to help!

Welcome :slight_smile:

6. Louise

You are in good company here, I have suffered on and off from depression for the last 25 years so if you feel the need to chat, to share, to cry ... whatever feel free to PM me. My depression of course has nothing to do with my sexuality so there may be some differences in the causes but the resulting depression displays itself in the same ways.

You are not alone and you can get through this. Sorry if I have depressed you with my story, I should just tell you that some of my depression is medical so you are not necessarily condemned to long term depression. (*hug*)

7. jason1111

jason1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suffer from depression and anxiety as well as other symptoms of a mental disorder. Not sure what the root of the problem is, but I think a lot has to do with accepting my sexuality. But I don't know.

8. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Welcome to EC. The posts above mine are just what you're looking for.

9. phil2008

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey Everybody,

Your sharing is much more than I expected! HUGS to all.

Regarding my depression, it is clinical in nature and I am on many meds. My therapist, however, believes that sexual identity issues have been a major part (but not the only part - depression is a physical disease, after all). But coming to grips with who I am and accepting and actually "loving" myself will be a huge part of the cure. My background is strict Catholic, so that might help you understand a bit. Not that I intend to bash the Church, but I have to accept that the Church hasn't helped and may have contributed to my identity problems.

Thanks again and many blessing to each of you!

Phil

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there. I've got the double whammy - depression and Catholicism. :slight_smile: My father's Catholic, my mother's Episcopalian, but I was raised Catholic. But here's the thing - both my parents are TOTALLY cool. They totally took my homosexuality in stride, they both love my partner to death, and I'm just as big a part of the family as I've ever been. So it tends not to be the Church itself, I think, so much as the followers.

As far as depression goes, I've got...oh, I can never remember the name. Dizrhythmia or something. I'm usually OK, but on rare occasions, I slip deep into depression, and have a tough time climbing out. Only had two bouts, but they were BEARS. One back in 1994, and one...well, just climbing out of it now, actually. 11 days since my last "down" period, and even that one was quite mild. Feeling much much better, with a few after-effects - like that fear that I'll slip back in. But I think I'm over the hump now.

Lex

11. Kimi

Hi and Welcome to empty closets!!

Sorry to hear that you are having it. I hope you get through somehow soon(*hug*)
    Hope to see you around:smilewave:smilewave