1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know if I should bother coming out to anyone else...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Brookie, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Brookie

Brookie Guest

I am out to my parents and best friend. My best friend said she knew all along and is happy for me coming to terms with being a lesbian. My dad is completely chill with me being a lesbian. My mother...is in denial. When I first came out she said that it's ok if I fall in love with a woman as long as she treats me right, but believes that maybe someday the right guy will come along. After that it's like I never ever came out to her. She's always talking about me dating/being with a guy. It's annoying at times. It also bugs me having to hear negative comments coming from my mother, stepdad or siblings about homosexuality. I cannot defend myself though. My siblings cannot know their older sister is a lesbian, because my mother doesn't want to have to explain what that is too them. They already know.

I'm sorry I've went on a rant here. Anyway, now what I came here to really talk about. What would be the point on me coming out to anyone else? Should I? It's annoying being in the closet at times, but if I came out facing negativity from people would be far much worse. I've thought about it many times. National Coming Out Day is coming up and I thought about doing it then, but I'm not sure. Would staying closeted really be a bad thing?

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

You should read some of the LGBT Later in Life threads. I spent 30+ years in the closet.
    A closet can be a very dark, depressing place. After a while it impairs your ability to breathe deeply. The "closet monsters" we create in our head are often much scarier than anything we find outside that closet door. (*hug*)

3. sammy1

I can't stand how people think we can change our sexuality if the right girl/guy comes around if someone said that to me I would say the same thing back to them. Don't feel pressured to come out on national coming out day unless u r ready 100%. As for your question, if being in the closet is really bothering u then u should maybe think about coming out to whoever u feel nesseccary.

4. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I am sick of being in the closet, but it is scary coming out. I recommend that you come out to someone who will be more supportive next time - once you have a few positive reactions to balance out your parents' ones, you should feel better. Also, I'm sure it goes without saying but it's still nice to be reminded at times - your mother is totally in the wrong over this. I'm sure she means well, but she is being ignorant and homophobic and you have no reason to feel bad about who you are. Being gay is natural and awesome and it doesn't hurt anybody so there's no reason for people to get so weird about it all :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

PS. Also, you can defend gay rights without coming out to your siblings.