1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will we always have to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lostyrs77, Oct 6, 2013.

1. lostyrs77

I don't want this to be taken wrong.

But I don't like the way it sounds. Especially when they say on news and media its OK to come out. Sports for awhile were on this. Just hearing it makes me think its a bad thing. Like come out so we know who and where you are. Eventually it would be nice to just live like everyone else and if you go to a gay bar or hold hands with the same sex. Bring a same sex partner to whatever without ever having to come out and make an announcement about it. If asked if your gay be able to just say yes and not have to make a big deal about it. I understand why its done at this time. To make others aware we are here and to accept it. But hopefully eventually it wont need to be announced.

I hope this is not taken the wrong way and understood the way I hope it sounds.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In a perfect world maybe...

3. biggayguy

I've come out to the people I care about. The rest I will tell on a need to know basis. If they ask me I will tell them. I don't feel like a coming out party is necessary.

4. Techno Kid

I feel like that day will come eventually ^ ^

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The big deal part is because of homophobia, unequal treatment before the law, religious based prejudice, and non-religious macho-based prejudice. This is why "coming out", which really means "coming out of hiding from all the bigoted :***: and bullies and what they feel free license to do to LGBT people", can be so traumatic. These people MAKE it traumatic, and create the negative consequences which there can be legitimate reason to fear. Until all this nonsense is eliminated (don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen) there will remain the need for people to be "in the closet" depending on their individual context and situation.

6. Projectfabulous

I feel like yes( for the sake of clarity) , but, one day (i hope), it won't be that big of a deal, people won't be ostracized for their sexuality, and we can just eat cupcakes and be happy

7. WiliamRoberts

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In 1997 the UK got legal consent rate. Only 15 years latter and they have gay marriage. Things are moving on quickly, so maybe one day (probably not in our life times) there will be no assumptions with children. It's good to have hope.

8. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People of my (our?) generation are way more accepting than people of our grandparents' and even parent's generation. Soon, those people will be dead (that sounds a little bit harsh haha :s) or old (for the parent's part) and my generation will be the new doctors, teachers, writers, etc. So soon enough, the old homophobic people will disappear to give some space to the new open minded generation.

I'm not saying that the world will be completely free from homophobic people, because there's still homophobia in my (our?) generation, but it will get better. Sooner than you think! It already started! :grin:

9. Siarad

I think it's inevitable - like women having the vote and the end of segregation. (Of course we haven't eliminated sexism or racism yet but I'll think we'll get there too.

I think we'll have a lot of the nonsense out of the way in the end. This song (lyrics by Woody Guthrie) always makes me think positively of the future - he is talking more about the elimination of racism but I always hear it as being about the end of all prejudice...

Billy Bragg & Wilco - She Came Along to Me - YouTube

10. blueberrymuffin

I think it'll reach a point where the only reason to come out is to make finding a partner easier, but even that may be unnecessary.

11. SFSorrow

Simplifying somewhat, technically yes, as the default sexuality is straight so anybody who doesn't fit into that will be assumed to be straight too until shown otherwise, but hopefully before too long it won't be a big deal, it'll just be like saying you're a vegetarian or something like that.

12. Lindsey23

When I was in high school I thought gay marriage would never be legal in my lifetime. Now here it is. Society is much more accepting now than it was even 10 years ago. This gives me a lot of hope for the future.