1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on who to tell, please!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by yep, Oct 6, 2013.

1. yep

yep

Hi everyone!

First off, I'd like to say that I've stalked the forums for a while, and I've posted a couple times. This community has helped me so much accept who I am, and I don't really know where I would be without it... (&&&)

So, even though I've had an idea that I was gay (or at bisexual) since about sixth grade (currently a senior in high school), but I didn't fully accept it until earlier this year. As you can see to the right, 7 people know. I told one of my best friends first because she's a HUGE advocate for LGBT rights, so it seemed like a no-brainer. I struggled through telling her but she was so supportive and it's really helped me. From there, I told some friends (3 of whom I go to school with and 3 of whom are also in an extracurricular organization I'm involved in) and they have also been very supportive.

My close group of friends consists of about 10 people. 4 of them are people that I've already told, but I have still yet to tell my absolute best friends. I'm not sure whether or not to tell them either. It's becoming increasingly hard for me to conceal it because up until I accepted my sexuality, I was such an open person and my friends knew almost every detail about my life. I really want to tell them, but I don't know how to or when.

I also would like for my parents to know, but I'm not sure how to approach that. I'm an only child and we live in the South. My dad is a semi-religious Christian, but he's quite conservative (not 100% on his views on the LGBT community, however). My mom is from Scotland and she's not really religious and doesn't take political stances, and I know that she is totally fine with gay marriage. While I don't think they'll have a problem with it, I just don't know how to tell them or when. Same problem with my friends...

Sorry for that being so long, I'm just a little lost as of right now...Thanks in advance for any help/advice you could give! :help: :icon_bigg

2. Nick07

Is there in fact a question in you post? lol

You have done it seven times already and you have a plan whom to tell next :slight_smile:

3. yep

yep

Kind of. I told the people that I knew for sure would be fine with it, and now I'm down to the people that I REALLY care about their reactions, and I'm not sure how they're going to react. :confused:

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The easiest way is to think of it like this:

Even if they struggle with it at first, if they really care about you they will work through it and be fine with it eventually! If not, well what do you need them for anyway

5. yep

yep

True, thanks! The only people I think I'm really worried about are my parents just for the fear of losing financial support (especially as I'm going to college next year). :icon_redf

6. Nick07

You can start a talk about same sex marriage for example to see how your parents will react.

7. leer

your friends closest to you should except you for who you are the only problem I would see is you had the bottle to tell 7 other people but am sure they would be there for you . as for your parents am sure they would want you to be happy in your life when I told mum & dad I was convinced they would be really disappointed they were really supportive .