1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comming out: I'm not Gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Neoteric, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Neoteric

Neoteric Guest

So I have recently discovered that my entire school thinks I am gay; staff, students, administration, and even some of my close friends not close enough for me to say I am bi.

However I haven't dated a guy or anything like that at my school to give them valid reason to think this. They all assume I am gay on the assumption that gay guys are in choir, are actually friendly, and other stupid assumptions that really have no logic. Unfortunately this school is kind of a witch hunt for gays, they even dubbed one guy gay because he wore Toms and shoes totally determine your sexuality...

So I would like to be able to say I am not gay but rather bi, but I fear two things, the first being that they won't believe me, the second being that this will only perpetuate their ignorant stereotypes...

Oh what to do... :rolle:

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Well, if it's people close to you you could always correct them assuming they're cognizant enough to know that there's a difference between gay and bisexual. For other people you only really know in passing, if they say anything you can just say, "I'm not gay." You wouldn't be lying.

3. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As said by the person above, to those that are actually relevant in your life you might as well tell them the truth, you are kinda out in a way, even if it's not completely true, so whether you let them believe you're gay or bi won't change much. You're not straight, I think that's what matters to them.

As for the rest of the people just tell them you're not, the difference wouldn't probably bother them anyway.

4. yep

yep

I'm in the same position as you completely, except for the fact I'm gay. Before I came out to my first friend, apparently everyone talked about it behind my back and everyone thought I was, even when I didn't realize it.

But, don't worry about what anybody thinks about your sexuality! It's your life, and you shouldn't care. Date whoever makes you happy and just inform people of who you're dating, not your sexuality.

Feel free to talk to me whenever!:slight_smile:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why does it matter?

So let's say you just go "Yeah, I'm gay." And you meet a cute girl and decide to date her. As long as she knows you aren't gay, that should be all that matters. Why does it matter what a bunch of people you don't really know or care much about think?

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If anyone asks, tell them "I like some guys and I like some girls, and I am cool with dating or just being friends with anyone I like, if they feel the same way about me, for now". Don't feel like you have to pin yourself down to a specific label which other people have defined.

7. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, like others have said, if they think that way there might not be much you can do to change that. I guess the best you can do is just straight up :slight_smile:lol:slight_smile: tell people you're bi, or not gay, since that is the truth after all. Some of them will believe you, some of them might choose to believe you're lying. I don't think there's much you can do about that depending on how deeply stereotypes dictate their perceptions, so just go along Dr. Suess's principle, "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter". Just ignore it, date whoever you want and it'll likely blow over!

That's my two cents, but it's not like I've been in this situation, so take this with a pinch of salt :slight_smile: