1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in the process

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cm25, Jun 1, 2008.

1. cm25

cm25 Guest

Please forgive me for any typing errors as I'm typing this on my iPod touch in bed haha. But anyway right now I am in the process of coming out because I feel like I should be keeping my huge secret of being gay from my parents any longer. I guess i should probably tell u a lil past first.

I found out i was gay about 1.5. To 2 years ago and i have had time to accept it from then and ii feel good about being gay, proud of it. My city is sort of like a giant bubble and anythingthat happened pretty much gets put up on a giant screen for everyone to know(sarcastic of course but you get it). So if i were to tell anyone that i was gay everyone would no no matter wgat. My parents love me very much and i think they might be ok with it but indont know for sure.

My mom and dad are divorced and live very far apart so they never are together so if I told them I would have to tell them seperqtly. My dad has a brother who is gay actually and he came out to my dad first and my dad I think would be ok with it. My uncle actually passed away last year. I wasvery heartbroken as well as my dad. My mom is very loving too but she tends to overreact alot. She also gets stressed very easily and my sister just graduate and is having a grad party this weekend and is leaving soon to so I don't know how shewill be and if she wont take it too well or not.

But like I said I have been feeling very pressured that I need to tell them because after all they have done fo me i feel bad keeping something of such importance away from them. I als fel the need to hqve a boyfriendbecause i need someone to love and to be with when im down but i dont hink there is likeabyone gay in my town. But idk whats going to happen or what do do s please help!!!! Thanks so much in advance!! -cody

2. Louise

If you feel ready to tell your parents then go ahead, it sounds like they will be cool with it.

As for them not living together you could send them both identicle e-mails saying what you have to say that they will both read, if not exactly at the same time, at roughly the same time.

It sounds as if your dad accepted his brother and your mum accepted her brother in law and his sexuality so they should be open to hearing what you have to say. If you think there might be a problem with your sister, wait until after her party to tell her, then she will be able to give you all her attention and not be distracted.

3. cm25

cm25 Guest

thanks louise for the advice. I never linked my mom and my uncle together before but now that I think about it she probably is fine too. I also like the idea of the emails but my parents are really ol fashioned and like to ask LOTS of questions haha. I think that now I just need to build up enough strength to tell them ANSI probably will aftervthe party, maybe next week some time when Im out of school. And then I'm seeing my dad this weekend and he's staying In a hotel so while I'm visiting him there I can tell him.

4. Louise

One other thought, do your parents have MSN, then you could chat all together, let them ask the questions they feel they need to ask.

If your parents are going to ask questions try to think of what they will ask and prepare your answers and/or resources for them.

Gumtree started a thread yesterday where he wrote a letter to his parents putting in 3 very useful links, you might want to check it out, it will certainly help your parents if they do have questions.