1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yup

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RandGen, Oct 8, 2013.

1. RandGen

Anyways I'm only coming out to my mom, as my dad is impossible just to be around. I just don't know how. Advice please? Many people on this site have given me the thumbs up and my boyfriend is pushing me to do this.

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well first off. Wow. This is such a scary and pivotal moment in your life. Lets honor that for a moment, K?

Its important to remember that this is about YOU, if this is what YOU want then YOU should come out. Its not what your boyfriend or anyone else wants.
    There are many ways in coming out to ones parents. You could write a letter, you could take her to dinner (although I dont think that is a very appetizing dinner convo when you are scared shitless), really you could get creative with it if you wanted. You also dont have to say exactly what you are. This is a time for self exploration and acceptance, so dont label it till you are sure. You can just say for the time being "hey, Im not straight."

What have you thought of as far as how you would do it?

3. RandGen

Really nothing, I just thought of telling her in the most private way I can. I would make her promise not to tell my dad first and then tell her.

4. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well, then thats what you should do. I think it is best to do thing organically, and in ones own way. Things dont usually go according to plan anyways, so you might as well not go into it with an overly thought out one anyways.

Of course if coming out threatens your safety than I would say hold off, but it sounds like for the most part your mom is going to be supportive, and so will your dad, it will just take time for him.

5. RandGen

I told my mom over text. Better than expected. I don't plan on telling my dad any time soon. The best way to explain why is he is very closed minded and doesn't know when to stop.