1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engaged! And I still have to tell... well... everyone.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by InLove, Oct 10, 2013.

1. InLove

[​IMG]

Last weekend, on our third anniversary, my love asked me to marry her. I didn't hesitate for a second of course, and I'm so so so happy! On Monday I showed my boss my ring (the only person who knows about us, long story) because I was so happy and he kept telling me I was glowing and radiant and asking how my weekend had been.

He was so sweet, "Oh! Oh how beautiful! Does that mean... does that mean you're engaged? Oh I'm getting a little teary!" which is very cute and amusing coming from a 6'3" giant of a man, hehe.

The only thing is that I haven't been able to tell anyone else because I'm not out to anyone except my boss and my girlfriend's family. I don't want to risk telling people my mum knows before I tell her myself because the last thing I want is for her to find out through the grapevine instead of me directly.

I was almost prepared to come out to her, working myself up to it, but now I have to tell her that not only am I in a relationship with a girl, I've also managed to get myself engaged without saying a word to her about it in three years. I feel a little guilty, and nervous. I don't know quite what to say, or how she'll react. Not badly I thiiink but... argh.

Once I've told her I can try and get up nerve to tell other people. My love and I agreed we didn't want to be officially engaged until I was out so that we celebrate properly with everyone knowing, but it slipped out at her work so that ship's kind of sailed and I have to get telling people!

2. method

Not sure I can give good advice, but congratulations!! I'm stoked for you :slight_smile:

3. Split Arrows

First off, Congratulations! That's so awesome that you're engaged :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_danc.

I think you're right in wanting to tell your mom before she just finds out on her own. My gut instinct is that she might be more bothered by the fact that you didn't tell her before and not so much that you're gay.

4. Sabinian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations!

5. DrkRayne

Congrats!!!!!!

Now about your mom, yes you want to tell her first. She may react one way or another, but I'd suggest telling her one...wait a week...then tell her the rest. It may be too much for her to deal with at once. See how she feels about you being a lesbian. let her know you love her, will had kids etc (that was my dads biggest fear, no grandkids) before you jump into the "im engaged" part.
    Good luck!

6. HarryIsCute

Congrats! The ring is gorgeous! Best of luck with telling your mom, just be honest, she is your mom, she cares that you are happy!