1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was miserable, and I had to change that. So I just came out to my sister!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sully, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Sully

After this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gener...ly-due-torrments-coming-out-what-do-i-do.html

And this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gener...-like-im-going-have-full-blown-melt-down.html

I decided something needed to be done. It's a horrible truth but I'm fortunate to understand it; I know that if you're miserable, you have to take steps to change things. I'm not saying it's an easy thing to do, but if you just sit there and take no action nothing is going to change.

So. Just half an hour ago, I decided, I'm going to come out to my sister tonight. I ran a bath to unwind, and in a bath there really isn't much to distract you, I did some thinking. A thought crossed my mind. It was, if you were actualy going to tell her you'd be more nervous. On that thought I picked up my phone and messaged my sister. I just said that the main reason I want to move out of home is that I'm gay and it's making me struggle academically. I did not think I just wrote it and sent it.

Her response was simple, there was no hate, no talk of phases, nothing but a plain and simple 'I love you, and will support you 100%'.

In a somewhat reworded sense, it was one small step for mankind, one giant leap for man.

2. Thanks awesome. Congrats.

3. Sully

Thanks, there were a few tears but feels pretty good.

4. InLove

Oh fantastic! Well done for being so brave and honest!!
    Do you feel a little better after having such a positive response?

Very well done!

:thumbsup:

5. Sully

Hmm. Thought question. The first few moments afterwards we very much much 'oh my god' moments, but now I don't really feel any better, it's more the fact that I know it will makes things better. Hopefully it'll just be a little bit easier and a little less scary from now.

Actually I do feel its a lot less scary. Telling friends I guess can be an awkward thing to bring up, but now I'm out to a family member they seem a whole lot less confronting.

6. LILuke

That's awesome! I'm so happy that you have someone to lean on for support now in your real life. CONGRATULATIONS! :grin:

7. Sully

Thanks all, I'll be seeing her tonight, which I'm slightly dreading just because there will be that awkwardness.

8. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly when I came out to my mom it was over a facebook message and when she came to see my a few days later there really wasn't anything awkward about it. We hugged and started catching up. Maybe it'll be easy for you, just don't stress. Good luck to you :slight_smile: