1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by staychill, Oct 10, 2013.

1. staychill

staychill Guest

Hey. So, I recently kind of realized that I'm bisexual. I don't really see the point in coming out to my friends or family. I might get disowned if I come out to my parents, and just about all of my friends would quit hanging out with me if they knew I liked guys and girls. It would kind of fuck up my life, and my relationship with my parents would be really distant and they would be seriously disappointed if they knew that I'm a homosexual. Why should I even come out to them if it would make them hate me? Also, I considered waiting until after college, but I don't really see the point because I could end up with a girl, so it would cause a lot of unnecessary arguements. So, should I come out to my parents and/or friends? If so, how should I do it and when? And what is the point of coming out if I'm attracted to both genders?

2. WiliamRoberts

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well maybe one day you'll meet a man who means a lot to you, and you'll want to tell someone. At the moment it's probably not best, but one day in the future who knows?

3. RainbowMan

It really depends on your age, and if you're dependent on your parents. Your safety is the first priority - if you are financially dependent on your parents, and think that they would cut off that support, then there's reasons NOT to come out to them. However, you asked about reasons TO come out.

I did it because I wanted to live a more open and authentic life - to be who I am without filtering myself, which takes an enormous amount of energy that could be better expended on other, more productive, pursuits. As to why to come out when you're bi, the answer is pretty much the same - when you notice a cute guy, do you want to filter yourself? That takes an enormous amount of energy.

4. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel the same way. If you're not in a relationship with a guy and you're afraid of being cut off, there is none. I'm still semi closeted but the thing I would do is tell your parents you have a date with "insert name" and just leave.

5. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    RainbowMan definitely hit on some solid points about your financial security and waiting. To your original question, the reasons vary per person. I personally decided to come out and tell some people because the lie I was living was becoming too much. The "double life" feeling was horrible and I was at a point in my life when affirmation was extremely helpful because I was beginning to truly hate myself. I wanted to be honest with my family because I disliked holding back this part of my life from them.

If/when someone comes out is done on their own time. Perhaps down the line something will occur that compels you more to pen up about your sexuality or that moment may never come.