1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out on FB!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by drs, Oct 11, 2013.

1. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    RainbowMan's thread regarding his coming out status on Facebook inspired me to do the same. My apologies if it looks similar - it should! I plagiarized a lot of it from his status post that he shared in his thread.

This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

I posted this several months ago; today it has a new meaning for me. Today is National Coming Out Day, and I decided that I’d use the opportunity for that exact purpose.

I am gay. This may come as a shock to some, some already knew, and some have probably suspected for a while - it doesn’t really matter what category you fall into.

I've always been afraid that I was going to slip up somehow, that I’d out myself inadvertently. For someone who hasn’t had to hide a core part of their identity, this might sound trivial - let me assure you that it’s not. I’m ready for this to end, and to live openly and honestly, and effective today, that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

I’ve been waiting for the perfect time to tell people, and what I’ve come to find is that there is no perfect time. I’d like the tone to remain positive, and I won’t hesitate to remove comments that aren’t. However, I’d like to think I know my friends and family well enough that that won’t be necessary.

As of this morning, I have 647 friends on Facebook. If tomorrow that number has dropped to zero, I don't really care. This is a decision that I had to make for myself, for the sake of my family and my sanity. I am firm in my conviction that, no matter how difficult this may be, it is the right decision.

Thank you to everyone who has stood beside me in this decision, and to those who will continue to stand with me. Your support means more to me than you will ever know.

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, drs. Please let us know how your declaration was received, particularly with your family members. I guess you picked the right day for you to do it; you won't ever forget the date. LOL

3. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats to you! :slight_smile:

4. MinusK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done! Though when I saw the title, I thought it said "Out on FBI" and I got scared for some reason :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Anyway, good on ya!

5. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So far, the response has been overwhelmingly positive! I'm almost in tears reading some of the words of support and encouragement from my friends and family. 3 hours since I've posted, 50 "likes" and 45 comments, all of which are very positive. I have an amazing family and great friends! I wish that EVERYONE could have the love and support that I have.

6. lostyrs77

Congrats design. Hope u have all the love and support from the ones that mean the most. You have ours!

7. Werbinich

That's SOOOOO similar to what I think, although for me being only sixteen, out to three, financially dependant on my parents and emotionally dependant on my friends....I just hope that I could do it one day.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

9. CheesyGoose

Congratulations, dude :slight_smile: It really warms my heart to see that you have received so much positive feedback. I have constantly thought about coming out publicly on Facebook, but it's a bit riskier for me right now :U I could just be like: Yo bitches, I'm gay. Do what you will with that information.
    I am, however, afraid what that could cause, so I'm avoiding it right now :U

But anyways, congrats to you man. It is indeed a happy day (!)

10. RainbowMan

Congrats! No worries on using mine, that's why I posted it! :grin:

11. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, the only "negative" comments have been about my mustache giving me away already (lol), and from a friend (who already knew) saying something about how as a gay guy I should have better fashion sense!