1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SwiftKnight, Oct 12, 2013.

1. SwiftKnight

Hi everyone, today is OCT 12 which happens to be my birthday. And which is pretty close to National Coming Out Day.(it is actually OCT 11 in US now)

Long story short; my best guy friend (R) came to my house and surprised me and passed me some stuff. After he left, surprise! He saw some of my other friends. Now, this friend called P was very good friends with R(my best guy friend). My other friends including P apparently came to surprise me as well. Now, nobody knew I was close to R except a few and P was quite sad and felt deceived because for a year or so, R told her he liked a girl and she helped him did stuff for that girl, and R told P about the girl everyday without knowing that the girl is actually me (R likes me)
    She said she felt deceived because both R and me are her close friends and now we are probably going to have a h2H talk on Monday. The reason why me and R kept our friendship a secret was because we were afraid of rumors, he was the first one that I told I'm gay (I didn't want to lead him on and felt I could trust him. Took a lot of courage but whew and from then on he has been supporting me secretly)

Nobody else knows. Actually, I am okay with P knowing about our friendship but R wishes to keep it a secret so I just agreed. But now I feel quite guilty and stupid because somehow I played a part in deceiving her as well. So, this coming Monday, other than telling her and explaining and apologizing about the secrecy of our friendship, should I come out to her as well? She was very hurt I think cause she cried and was shocked at the news.
    But I don't know because it's sort of linked but at the same time not really linked. Like, he was my close friend before he knew I'm gay but now we are even super closer after he knew. She isn't very homophobic but she isn't very pro LGBT either. I think.

Hope national coming out day is going well for all :slight_smile:

- ps I live in a sort of conservative environment (south east asia)

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fail to see how P can be cross with you, she doesn't own you, you can be friends with whoever the heck you want!

If she asks why you never told her, tell her it never came up...you COULD come out to her, but it really doesn't make a lot of difference.

3. leer

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :slight_smile:
    I cant understand why P is being like this sounds like you have a good bunch of friends P should except that .

4. SwiftKnight

Hey! Thankyou for your replies :slight_smile: actually , P is a really nice person! My friend R just told me she wants me to trust her more. And I know this is VERY RISKY but I'm coming out to her tmr! She will be the 2nd person to know. I've thought about it for a very long time. My exams are coming but I can't hide it anymore. OH but I'm not sure to come out as a lesbian or bi. Because I fell for both genders since I was young, but gradually more for girls and now I think it's totally girls.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It sounds like you have made up your mind, and are ready to come out to your friend. If you are not sure, you can always say that you are questioning your sexual orientation, and add that you are leaning towards girls.

Good luck! Hope it goes well for you. :slight_smile: