1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking about coming out to my psychiatrist? (transgender)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Austin97, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Austin97

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have an appointment with her on Thursday and i've been thinking about talking to her about my gender issues and the experiences that i've had since i was a kid because this is all the main cause of my depression and self hate. I'm on an antidepressant and i'm still unhappy. I'm afraid of telling her though because i'm scared that she'll tell my dad, put me in a psych ward, laugh in my face or think that i'm crazy. This will be the first person that i've told and i'm really anxious about it. I just have a huge weight on my shoulders because of this and i'm tired of lying to her about my feelings or telling her that i'm ok with my life when i'm not.

2. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nonono, that's a really good idea. Legally she can't tell your dad or anyone unless you give her permission or you're in harm to yourself or wanting to hurt someone else. Also by telling her she can set you up to see a gender therapist who could help you understand and that's better for you in the long run because you'll be further along and you'll be able to start transitioning much more quickly because you've already had the counselling :slight_smile:

3. Austin97

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    well i can't see a gender therapist just yet because i don't want my dad to know or anything but thanks for the reply, it made me feel a lot better. i just kinda want to talk about it with someone for now if that makes sense

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure the CAN'T tell your Dad...I would recommend it, there's no point in therapy if you don't talk about the things that actually bother you!

5. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty sure she won't tell your dad. You could ask her, "If I tell you something, can you promise not to tell my dad? It's not something that puts me in any danger." And then yes, definitely tell her, it will make your sessions much more helpful.

6. Nick07

When I was about to go a therapist I dreamed that she hadn't believed me, made fun of me and said I was wasting her time.

And then in my dream I committed suicide right in that building.

When I got to the therapist for real, he didn't make fun of me and he believed me. But he made several very unpleasant remarks and then said he couldn't do anything for me, that I had to see his colleague.

The way I felt (hopeful and very honest about my feelings) was in so big contrast with the way he treated me, that when I left his office, I tried to decide if I should jump out of the window of that building (should I take my backpack with me when I do it?) or if I should wait and jump under a subway train on my way home.

What I am trying to say is be sure to know what your therapist's opinion is on the matter and trust your guts.

*hug*

7. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nick07, I'm glad you posted that, it didn't occur to me for a minute that even therapists can be bigots. Naive of me. Good luck Austin97, take Nick07's advice I think, and if your therapist is a bigot, find another one.

8. Nick07

Well, just be careful and take care about your feelings :slight_smile: Some things you can't take back. It would be definitely useful to share it with your therapist. But only you know if they are the right one.

I was always kind of making fun of the people who believed in signs in their dreams. Guess what, I take my dreams very seriously now :slight_smile: