1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out through text?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by William, Oct 14, 2013.

1. William

So,I was wondering which would be more...well...hmm.

Is coming out through text a good way to come out to someone?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it's not the way I'd chose to do it...I mean, who are you wanting to come out to via text?

3. momart

the first of the guys in our group to come out, 3/5 ( i'm still waiting for the other two to do it) came out through text and it was fine! :slight_smile: that was 3 years ago :slight_smile:

4. UG Scorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    its upto you how you feel is the best way to come out

5. William

My crush actually.

Momart,COOL!

6. Hrantou

I've done it. But it was to my lifelong friend that I've known for years (I had no romantic interest) and I just couldn't say it to him, so I texted it. It went well. He knew all along and didn't care, though he did make it clear he was 100% straight. :lol:

It's not my preferred method, especially with how texting is. You know, they might not read it for a while, or respond quickly, and the time that they don't respond can be VERY nerve-wracking. But if you wanna do it that way, then go ahead.

7. William

Thanks! :grin:DDD

8. arcchi

Well... I did it. I'm too coward to look into someone's face and talk about it.

I said it for my best straight friend, that is a girl. When she find out that i was liking someone (she dont knew who), i get pressured to say for her, but at the same i was afraid "what if she think i could come into her? and then stop to talk to me?"... When i decided to tell, everytime i looked to her face i get terrified.

Then, what is the only way i can do it without this? Tell her on facebook! (yeah, i get terrified at the same way). But i did it. Know we are closest friends we were back in the then.

(detail: get sure that the person you will tell have open mind)

9. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whatever you feel comfortable with. It may show the person you have a difficult time telling them face-to-face. It is understandable as to what your planning to do. All the best.

10. ThatMetalGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was so thinking of this as an option, but then again things might turn awkward if I tell my friend and we see each other afterwards. I fear that I will not have the guts to actually talk about it in person so I'm kind of putting it off until I really have the courage to do so.

11. mvjp

i came out via text to my parents and ok so my mum thought i was joking at first but other than that it was fine

12. SilverMist111

*shrugs*

I don't think it is that terrible of an option. I came out to my best friend one morning before school, and she was cool with it and very supportive. When we saw each other later that day, she just hugged me and basically went on talking to me like nothing had happened.

I was super grateful that she didn't make a huge deal out of it, and I texted her mostly because I couldn't bring myself to tell her out loud. >.<

13. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I have thought about texting my wife but that's wimpy

14. CheesyGoose

Well.... coming out through text has nothing wrong in it. Honestly, it's less nerve wracking. I mean, when I'm face to face with someone, I'm afraid that they might throw 500 insults straight to my face if I tell them or that they're going to beat me up or something. Yeah, I'm paranoid and afraid of such stuff :U But I still believe that telling someone face to face makes it more important and friends will definitely appreciate the effort you've made to tell them face to face. It certainly leaves a strong image of you, that despite you being in a minority group, you have the balls to tell someone that straight to their face.

But this is just my opinion. However, if coming out through text feels right for you, then go for it. I'd actually recommend telling the friend or whoever you're telling, why exactly are you telling that them through text. People are different and can have different impressions and honestly, even the closest friends may have prejudices about some things.

15. qwerty222

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do what you feel is best bud as i do that

16. Miseducated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's the best way if that's how you feel most comfortable doing it. There is no right way. But texts are good because they give the other person enough time to settle on the information and come up with the right response instead of being forced on the stop and possibly creating some sort of awkward moment that wasn't intended. Good Luck! I hope your crush likes you too!

17. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

Think I should come out via text ?

18. biggayguy

Coming out by text or IM is too casual IMO. It's a major life event. It deserves a face 2 face conversation or a letter.

19. lovely lesbian

I came put over text and yes maybe not the best way to come out but I worked for me do whatever makes u feel coma fable x