1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can you tell if another girl is gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ceel, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Ceel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How do I find other lesbians without having to basically scream I'm gay to the world? I haven't told people yet, but I'm tired of pretending to like guys just so I'm not completely alone. This is one of the hardest things I've had to go through my whole life.. I'm too afraid, but feel like if I find someone it'll make it easier to let people know I'm a lesbian

2. AliceHutchins

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if that's necessarily a reason to be with someone. Being gay is just as valid whether you have someone or not.
    But going through it alone is hard. Have you looked online for LGBT groups nearby? Or gone to a gay club? There are plenty of places you can go anonymously to meet other women. Events, societies, clubs.
    I know how you feel. I used to think that liking women was going to be a lonely place for me but then through my uni's LGBT society, I met more women like and started going to more events and I discovered this diverse, huge and wonderfully open minded community of people hidden away.
    Don't give up, you're not alone, you just need to know where to look.

3. TheUglyBarnacle

The only way to know whether a girl is gay is by asking her. Sure, guessing can go a long way (butch lesbians are quite obvious, for example) but you would be better off not relying on it.
    Is there a community where you live? LGBTQ+ groups? These are the best places to meet other queer women, I guess.

4. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're in collage they have clubs and stuff, even high schools have them. Or look around your community. Or like just talk to people and bring it up casually. Don't force it on them because sometimes people get offended if you as right out

5. Cerith23

You really can't tell unless you ask them, unfortunately. Look out for LGBT paraphernalia - that rainbow bracelet you thought was just ornamental might (*might*) just stand for something more.

@AliceHutchins, Hi also from Bath/Bristol :slight_smile: