1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my friend suspects i'm gay, how do i tell him?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chrisV, Oct 15, 2013.

1. chrisV

a few days ago, my best friend asked me if i was gay. he told me that he doesn't care, and that it's not a big deal. i said no, but i did so in such an awkward way, that i'm sure he knows i am. i really want to tell him, just because i don't have anybody to talk to when it comes to things like this, but i don't really know how to go about it. i am almost certain i will do it through text, because i do NOT have the balls to tell him in person, but i have no idea how to get into that conversation. i obviously am not just going to send a text simply stating "i'm gay", so what do i say beforehand? i'm really nervous about this, and i'm literally shaking as i type this just from thinking about it. any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Serious question, why does texting the words "Yes, I am gay" to him feel so bad to you? What worries you about it?

3. chrisV

what i was asking is how i should approach him with the topic, just because sending that message right off the bat would be kind of awkward.

4. Colours

You: "Hey, remember when you asked me if I was gay"
    Him: "Yes"
    You: "Well I know I denied, which was because I got nervous, but I actually am..."

Or something along those lines. Nothing weird or hard about it and it works. Don't worry about it being weird that you denied it first. He'll understand.

5. Miseducated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think a text saying something along the lines of what Colours said is good. He already expressed support for you if you are. He sounds like a good friend. You'll need those when you decide to come out to other people. Good luck!

6. chrisV

i now have my phone out ready to send the text, but i can't get myself to do it. i literally feel sick, but i really wan't to tell him. i don't know what to do.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Type it up and leave it for a bit. Do something else, watch some TV, read a book or something. pick your phone up later and see if you can hit send. It can be hard but you can do it!

8. Miseducated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Type the message into your phone. Take a deep breath. Send it. It's not the end of the world I swear. You can do it.

9. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you are ready. I agree with the others. Type it, pause, take a deep breath and hit send if it's your desire.

10. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember the other day when you asked me if I was gay and I denied it? That was stupid of me; you already figured out I am, but I wasn't ready to admit it to anybody, even to myself. After thinking about it, I realized that since you are my best friend, I should be honest with you, and with myself, and tell you that you were right, I am gay. You can slug me (for denying it) or hug me, which I prefer, but either way, the truth is out, so can we talk about it now? I need some help in figuring out what to do. :help:

11. ArtVandelay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know, maybe you've sent the text by now, but I felt the same way when I was about to text my friend to meet up so I could tell her in person. I wrote the text and couldn't bring myself to press that send button. Eventually I just closed my eyes and pushed it. Think about why you want to tell him; to be honest, because he's your best friend and already said he's okay with it. Then think if there's any real reason why you shouldn't press send. Are there going to be any real negative effects? If you know you can trust him and he is going to be accepting, why not? If you try to step away from the situation and look at it logically, you can maybe get past the irrational fears that hold you back. When you get that secret off your chest that sick feeling will disappear. Trust me, I've been there too.

12. yep

yep

Coming out is a hard thing to do, but you just have to quickly hit send and throw your phone down. You know he's going to be super supportive, so take this opportunity!