1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boyfriend's parents..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JakeHas, Oct 15, 2013.

1. JakeHas

So my boyfriend doesn't think his parents will accept him... (This thread is in his regard, since he does not have an account here). He tells me that his mother calls his father and sometimes him a faggot for whatever reason. Not intended to be bad, he just feels like because of that, she wont accept him.
    I try to convince him that she loves him very much, but I don't think he is convinced. His mom is an amazing person, she writes on his FB at least once a week saying things about how much she loves him, he's the best son in the world, and all that stuff.
    I'm not sure how to convince him that his parents will be okay with it and not get mad at him or argue about it.
    What do you guys think I should say?
    Thanks!

2. rin101

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, first of all, the fact that they're using slurs is a little unsettling. He might want to encourage them to stop that.
    If she loves him that much, I doubt he has much to fear. Have they ever shown any anti-gay attitudes outside of using "faggot?"
    If not, then I think he should come out, especially if you two are dating. It puts a lot of strain on a relationship to keep it secret.
    This is just a suggestion, but if he does decide to come out--and I don't know your situation of if you're out to your family--maybe you both could come out together? I know when I come out to my family, I'm planning one hell of a show. Sometimes it helps to do it in a way that feels comfortable to you, instead of an awkward all-on-one conversation. It also might show his parents that he's very serious about his orientation if he's in a relationship.
    Tell him that lots of people are behind him and that we all have confidence he can do this. His mom will still love him, he's still his son, only he just happens to like guys. Tell him I'm rooting for him, and good luck :grin:

3. JakeHas

Thank you! Yes, I have thought about coming out with him. I feel like it would make everything so much better because we would be there for each other and would be at the same point in that aspect of our lives.