1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to someone for the first time!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Islander, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Islander

Well last night, I got a teensy bit drunk and told one of my new friends at uni. I told her because she had been telling me about various problems that she had, and I know all about her life but she barely knows anything about me because I don't really open up.

I'm also pretty proud of how cunningly I came out (it was like a fun game).
    At the freshers' fair, I picked up a rainbow pen that said 'LGBT' on it from one of the stalls, and have been keeping it in my pencil case. A few days ago, this friend picked the pen up, stared at it for a second, then put it down again and resumed conversation as normal. Then last night when we were tipsy, after she had told me one of her secrets, she commented on the fact that I don't seem to have any secrets. I told her that I had a big one, and that she probably already knew what it was. At this point, we were walking to a club, and she kept pestering me, asking what it was, and I told her to think about the pen. She couldn't remember what I was referring to, and got really serious because she thought that there was something really wrong, and kept asking what was on the pen. I refused to remind her.

Then, towards the end of the evening, 'All I Want For Christmas is You' by Mariah Carey came on (in October?!) and we jokingly sang the line to each other. Then I saw a flash of realisation in her eyes and she screamed 'I know what was on that pen!' Then she kept hugging and kissing me and she was really supportive!

Sorry for the long winded explanation - I just really wanted to express my happiness somewhere. Good first coming out experience!

Today though, I feel a bit awkward seeing her, and we avoided the subject completely. She didn't act any different towards me, and when I brought it up later on, she was just as supportive. Can't help feeling a bit embarrassed though - this is a secret that I've kept for 7 years! It's so weird that someone knows it now!

Thanks for reading this, if you've made it this far!

Islander

2. scanner007

:::writes reply with stereotypical fruedian accent:::
    So she had forgotten ze pen completely, until ze moment you both looked into each other's eyes and sang "All I vant for Christmas is You!"

And it vas zhat moment vhen she remembered! Hmmmm! Verrrrrry Interesting!

I vonder vhat she saw in your eyes zhat rrrrrreminded her. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

LOL by the way... GOOD FOR YOU! :grin:

3. Islander

Haha if you're implying that she's interested in me, she is straight and has a boyfriend who she loves very much!

4. scanner007

well I was implying that maybe she saw some interest in YOUR eyes that reminded her of the pen ...but only jokingly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(You know like maybe you sang All I want for Christmas is *YOU* ...maybe with just a little too much "sparkle" in your eyes) again ...only jokingly

#4 scanner007, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  5. Islander

Haha I actually think that it WAS me singing it to her that reminded her...pretty funny though! Hope she doesn't think I like her XD