1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to quit Chinese school. >_<

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hoppip, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Hoppip

Okay, I guess this is a pretty trivial matter, but...

I still need SOME advice. Preferably before Sunday?

My friend Michelle's crazy parents make her take Chinese classes each Sunday. And she's always so bored in them since there are no other teens her age. Well, I've been going (5-6 times? Maybe more) and...

1. She wasn't kidding. The only other kids are like, 7 - 8 years old!
    2. I've learned so much more on the internet. The class is sooo boring.
    3. It's 12 dollars a class, which I pay for myself. And I'm jobless.

So I want to (i.e. am going to) quit the class, because there's no point in me learning Mandarin and I can just learn it on the internet for free. And when I do it on the internet I learn faster anyways. But I feel bad because without me, Michelle will be soooo bored. But it's just too expensive and pointless!

I know she's mature enough to handle it, but I don't know how I'm gonna break it to her. I'll still LEARN the language, because I love talking to her in it... I just don't know what to say.

I feel bad because the teacher and her parents will feel like I've given up (I don't really care, though, since I'll never see the teacher again. Ha.)

2. sdc91

Hehe, this reminds me of my situation 9 years ago.

I was the oldest one in my class since I was a second grader in a class of Kindergartners. I eventually quit because the school bumped me up from Kindergarten-3rd grade after 1 semester (wtf?), so it was too hard (everything was in Chinese). I really wish I stuck with it, though. I regret not being able to speak Mandarin.

As for you, I think you should quit if you want to, especially since you're paying for it and you're bored. It seems like a waste of time. I do think it'd be a great idea to continue with your studies, though. Even if you and Michelle are good friends, I don't think you have an obligation to go with her. Just hang out with her during other times.

3. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

It's not really fair on you if your not enjoying it so just tell the truth about what you think and I'm sure they will all be fine with you stopping the classes - just don't make up any rediculous stories as to why you want to give it up lol... they usually just sound silly!
    You gave it a good go so what more can they ask for hey??
    Just don't worry and I'm sure they will understand :slight_smile:

4. Hoppip

Haha. I guess that's pretty good advice. I don't even know why I'm asking for such simple advice. Baah.

I just hate not being there for people. It makes me feel like I have no integrity, but staying would be foolish.

Whatever.

Dear Michelle,

我不喜欢中文的学校。我不要去学校。。。我爱你和再见吗?

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or focus on the money aspect. "Since I don't have much money, it's starting to be a bit of a drain." Or the time aspect. "I really could use the time better to (whatever)."

Lex

6. sdc91

Hehe, you could substitute " wo (bu) xi huan" for one of your "wo (bu) ai"s.
    Sorry. I suck at pinyin and I forgot the accents.

7. Ty

Ty Guest

Hmmm... Whats so bad about the classes? I enjoy my Japanese ones, the teacher is really nice!

8. Hoppip

Meh. I told her and she was like, "alright I understand."

WOOT. For having mature friends.

However... now I have another problem. Meh.

9. darkestknight

Wow - you can write a whole chinese sentence... you are better than me a gadjillion times!:thumbsup:

Eventhough I'm a Malaysian chinese myself, but I'm not chinese-educated. And I couldn't even write sentence like that...lol! :roflmao: