1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm too scared.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cheesecake, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Cheesecake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, I just joined here..

I'm 13 years old and bisexual. But I'm too scared to come out. To anyone. Advice please? Thank you :slight_smile:

2. bigeagle

Hi cheesecake, do you really feel the need to come out! Your very young and my advice would be enjoy the exploration of your sexuality. Or do you feel your hiding your true self?

3. Cheesecake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, if people ask questions about it I don't really wanna lie, but I could keep it a secret though.

4. LusciousLeo82

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello Cheesecake:

I think you should come out on your own terms. If at this moment you are too scared to tell anyone that you are bisexual, I would feel that it is your intuition telling you that it is not that right time to disclose your sexuality.

As bigeagle stated, you are VERY young. . . . .you're only 13 years old! I remember how emotional it was for me when I came out to my mother. I was 16 years old and things were very different at that time. Being anything other than straight was a highly controversial issue and a taboo; however, now things have seemed to get a little bit better with the current times.

Perhaps you have a very close friend whom you trust that you could tell? Maybe even a counselor at school? You don't have to tell the world just yet, but even telling one person helps to relieve some of the weight of the world off of your shoulders.

I have a friend who is in his late 30's who is in a similar situation. He has accepted that he is gay but fears "coming out" because of the consequences doing so would have on his life. The best thing for someone who is struggling with this issue is to have a friend to talk to. Sometimes, even telling a complete stranger, such as a counselor or therapist is better because it is easier to disclose very private issues to people we normally don't have regular interaction with.

Just my thoughts. I hope you find a lot of valuable resources here on Empty Closets. We are all always here to support you! :icon_bigg

5. Cheesecake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you! :icon_bigg
    I've told 2 people I've met online. One is in the same situation as I am.

Thanks everyone! (&&&)

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Cheesecake

I agree with the others, there is plenty of time to decide so do not feel you have to say anything yet.

You will know when it feels right !!

Good luck

7. Cheesecake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks!

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets. Congratulations on your coming out journey thus far. :slight_smile:

Having come out to a couple of people online, is already an achievement. It will all depend on what you feel is right for you.

One further suggestion I would make is to try joining a LGBT youth group which can help you to gain more insights into yourself, and also help you to become more comfortable with continuing to come out. Having a good support network, can make a big difference.

Maybe have a look if your school has a GSA/LGBT support group or a safe space.

9. Cheesecake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the advice! ^^

10. Lipstick Leuger

You don't have to come out at all. Don't be scared, it will be alright. If you don't want to lie you can say "I like boys" because if you are Bi, you like both anyhow, so it is not a lie. You are not required at any time in your life to tell others of your sexuality. It is not a lie, but simply drawing a boundry and not allowing others into your private life. Just like you don't tell everyone about every time you use the bathroom, or everything that you think of, or everytime you have your period. It is ok to be private about certain things in your life. This is one time.

11. Cheesecake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks so much!

12. jami13llp1993

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For me its always been a in the moment thing if someone asks about it i decide in the moment how i want to answer and i haven't felt comfortable enough yet but if you do then you should say it with pride!! :slight_smile:

13. theskyiseverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, cheesecake! There is no rush to come out. I'm 13 also, and I don't plan on coming out for a while. So relax, find out who you are, accept yourself, and then start coming out to others.

14. Lipstick Leuger

My daughter came out as Bi at 13 to me and I told her the same thing. You are not required to come out, you are never required to explain anything about yourself. You can half answer the question, or not at all. It's fine either way. Being 13 is hard enough without worrying about this.

When I came out as Lesbian, and I was much older than you, I was very very afraid as well. I told no one for over 10 years. I told no one until I was into my 30s. I knew earlier but I was afraid. Before I told my best friend, I actually threw up, because I was so scared. When I told her she was like "um yeah, I knew since high school" . It turned out fine. That is the gift you give yourself, choosing when you come out. It is no one elses to give, or hurry along. Take your time and let it happen when you feel comfortable.