1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been a bit over 6 months since Coming Out - Still hard to call myself Lesbian

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sigillumdiaboli, Oct 21, 2013.

1. sigillumdiaboli

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    As the title of this thread suggests, I've been out as lesbian for well over 6 months now, but I find it easier to refer to myself as "gay" rather than "lesbian".

Not sure why, but I'm thinking it's because I'm still yet to experience a physical act with another woman - and that I need this act to be able to "validate my label". I mean is a physical act really needed to validate someone's sexual orientation? (I never really did anything past one simple kiss with a man, and look where I arrived at today!)

But that being said, when I'm with my lesbian support group, I feel at ease and feel at home - that everything is right... So why do I still struggle with this?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: It's been a bit over 6 months since Coming Out - Still hard to call myself Lesbia

I have a better question for you.

Why does it matter to you that you call yourself gay instead of lesbian?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you labelling yourself whatever you want, if you're more comfortable with gay, you go ahead and use it. Physical acts aren't needed to validate it, there are plenty of people who know they are straight that have never been with someone of the opposite sex. You know what you are attracted to!

3. lovely lesbian

Re: It's been a bit over 6 months since Coming Out - Still hard to call myself Lesbia

I don't call myself a lesbian I do say im gay but I don't really mind whatever but I hate the word dyke hate it! X

4. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I can relate. I too feel the need to have a sexual act to confirm my homosexuality. But when it comes to naming yourself, I don't see such a big deal. You can just say something like "I like women". That it doubtlessly true, because you do like women and nobody referred to having sex.

5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

Yep, different words can have different meanings/strength for different people.
    For me it's 'love' in English. People in English spoken countries use it quite a lot and I know there's a difference between 'I love xxx' and 'I'm in love with xxx', but still I couldn't tell a friend "I love you" or use it about a celeb.
    In the end it doesn't matter if I say 'like' instead because the word itself can't change how I feel about them.
    As in your case, it doesn't really matter if you call yourself 'gay' or 'lesbian' because it won't change who you are.

6. Miss Loopy

I prefer to label myself "half straight rug muncher".

Call yourself what you want xD

7. DrkRayne

OMG haha. I love this.

But to the OP: Call yourself what you like. Whatever makes you comfortable. Don't let others tell you what you need to label yourself as. :slight_smile:

8. kibeth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I can completely relate to this! Somehow even though knowing that is exactly what you are - Lesbian - it still feels a little strange. I guess it's because of what society tries to make of us. Call yourself what you want, something thats comfortable for you. I sometimes refer to myself as "about as straight as the average questionmark"

9. Lipstick Leuger

I call myself Femme, I hate to use Lesbian and don't unless it's on posts. It does not matter what you call yourself, just don't call yourself late for dinner! :slight_smile:

10. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

Call yourself whatever you are comfortable with. :slight_smile:

11. LightningAndPie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

yeah dude i feel you, "lesbian" is just kind of an awkward word. i've always called myself gay, or just said that i like girls.

it's really natural to struggle with labels. sometimes labels don't fully describe your sexuality, or they come with stereotypes that you don't want to identify with, or they just feel wrong. luckily, there's no rule about what you call yourself, and you don't need to call yourself anything. you're a person, do what you do, and describe yourself however makes sense to you :slight_smile:

12. Fiction

Out Status:
    A few people

But I agree totally with this. I think it's such an awkward word. I've got a group of friends and they're all girls and refer to themselves as gay not lesbian. And it's just a word so you should use what you feel comfortable with :slight_smile: