1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend laughed in my face

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sari, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Sari

So I decided to try and discuss what I'm going through with one of my close friends, who is gay. He's always pretty good about discussing relationships etc with me and I thought he could maybe offer some advice or...I don't know.

He knew ages ago that I was attracted to women and had slept with one. So I mentioned that I've been questioning my sexuality and I think I might actually be a lesbian. I explained why I thought it and he started laughing. Since then he hasn't really talked about it with me and whenever I mention it he says it's not a big deal.

I can see how he would think that, he's been with his partner for years and they are both out to everybody. But I thought he would remember how hard it was for him to get there. I suppose I just thought he would be a bit more supportive and I'm completely confused by his reaction to be honest. I feel like he isn't taking me, or what I'm going through, seriously.

Just needed to rant about it I think!

2. Ticklish Fish

have you try talking with him and see if he's willing to give you time to discuss?

there could be many reasons why he laugh and why he haven't talk about it. It could be simple as waiting for you to bring up the topic to discuss? idk.

3. Sari

That's true, I suppose it just wasn't the reaction I was hoping for! I should see him tomorrow so will see what happens...!

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe he's been thinking that you might be a lesbian for ages so it seemed kinda funny to him that you're finally getting there too? Dunno.

5. jinx23

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I came out to one of my older gay friends he just kinda chuckled and said he'd always wondered if I was out to myself yet or not. Always fun when other ppl seem to know before we do.

6. LiquidSwords

It might just be that he thought it was obvious already and he sees you coming out to him as inconsequential, not an important step for you.

When I came out to one of my friends they laughed and said they'd known for a while anyway, then I started crying and he realised it was a pretty big deal for me to tell him :icon_bigg

Short of doing that you could just talk to him and explain what it means for you to tell him, that you'd appreciate being able to talk about it and stuff, if he's a friend he'll up his game and take the situation seriously.

7. Sari

You're right, I won't know why he reacted like that until I speak to him. I'm seeing him later today so will see how it goes I guess. Thanks x