1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying as queer

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChromeNerd, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to come out as queer, but most straight people don't understand what it means. Some people even seem to be offended by it. They think it's better to call yourself bisexual. I don't feel comfortable calling myself bisexual because that implies I'm interested in dating guys. I don't really find it appealing to date guys, but I can't say for sure if I'm attracted to them or not. I'm kind of tempted to call myself a lesbian, but I feel like a fake because I'm always scared that I will fall for a guy.

TL DR: I want to come out as queer, but a lot of people don't understand what it means. How should I deal with those people?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask yourself the following question. After the first time you say it to a person, how often is it likely to come up?

I'm guessing once you've told them, explained what it means and they've reacted however they want to, it's not likely to come up that often. I might be alone in this but I personally tend not to find myself talking about how pansexual I am to people!

If that's how you feel then that's how you feel. Tell them, they can take it however they want. If they bring it up again, explain it to them. If they get offended, ask them WHY they are offended by it.

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you want to come out as queer because you're comfortable with that label and it feels right atm, just do it. Surely, you'll meet people who won't understand the meaning, in this case be ready to offer a short explanation. btw, how would you explain the word to me if I asked you?

The more I understand myself the more I'm able to narrow the label.
    At first I was comfortable with "not that straight" - when I started questioning my sexuality.
    Then I called myself "bisexual" - it was when I couldn't deny the obvious attraction towards women but also the fact that I've been with a guy for many years.
    Finally I feel comfortable to come out as "lesbian" because I realized not only I am attracted to women and desire to be in a relationship with a woman, but also that except that one particular guy I'm not really attracted to men and can't imagine to be with them.