1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told not to come back to work

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jinx, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Jinx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have been working as an assistant Kindergarten teacher and an afterschool teacher for 2 1/2 years. Two months ago I decided tot ake some time off so I quit with them knowing that I would want to come back this coming school year. Everyone was cool with this. Anyway, I went back in last week to talk about coming back and I was told that someone saw me holding hands and giving a kiss to a *gasp* girl in the movie theater lobby. This school just happens to be a private Christan school. Anyway, they told me that they have to "think about the children". That it's a matter of "influence". They didn't want "word to get around" and have parents "up in arms". :***: I'm so mad. It shouldn't matter that I'm Gay. It's not like I flaunt it at school or even put photos up in my classroom. I'm not currently seeing anyone anyway. Because it's a private school, under Alaska discrmination laws there's nothing wrong with it. I asked them what about the last 2 1/2 years I was teaching there and was told, "well, you were'nt that way". Uh... yeah, I was. They just didn't know it. It's peopel like them that give Christians a bad name. Yet another reason I have yet to come out at church.:tears::bang::tears:

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Another reason I dislike private institutions. I've never understood why their status allows them to legally discriminate, especially when you kept it so minor that most people at your job didn't even know. From what it sounds like, you weren't influencing the kids at all, any more than a straight teacher would influence gay kids to "change". What a shame.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Time to find a better school. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Trumpetplyer23

I agree with Lex. Find a better school, if they were so wiling to discriminate the first time, they'll do it again. Even if they do hire you back, who's to say that they won't screw you over on your paycheck or medical or something else?

5. Trent13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree With Trumpetplayer who agrees with Lax!

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Sadly, these kinds of religious organization can and do have the authority to discriminate based on their own religious beliefs. You could cause a stink about it and go public but I doubt its going to do you any good. Probably your best bet is to go to a public school to get a job.