1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly outed in class

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rena, Oct 26, 2013.

1. rena

Basically, im chatting to the girl i sit next to in class, i was being annoying and winding her up as usual and she said "ill get her girlfriend to beat me up, shes the butch one...only joking" i said out of my friends that were gay most of them were butch. Then she just asked out of know where "Are you gay?" i took me by surprise and then she laughed and said you've gone popper red.

Now she jokes about outing me, part of me felt relief that someone knew but now i don't know how shes going to handle this i think shes made it her personal mission to make me come out its like the 20Qs game i don't want to answer.

i feel panicked its like coming out is no longer on my terms and i know she means well :l

Has this happened to anyone else, i don't even know her that well

2. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hmmm, this is a tricky one.

The fact of the matter is, often people can tell.

By asking her to mind her own business and space, then you're essentially admitting it. At least to her - and through sheer luck she'd be right.

I think a lot of what you should do depends on the decency of the questioning person, and also the decency/acceptance level of those around you.

If they're actually a nice person, then you might as well take them aside, tell them the truth - and ask them to respect your decision to keep it to yourself. You're not hiding anything, it's a difficult thing to discuss. I don't go around in reality telling strangers my sexual preferences.

If you suspect that they'd use this information against you, or for their own gain, then I'd suggest ignoring her, making new friends and just taking your life in a very slightly different path.

Just bear in mind that gossip IS such a thing. Whilst I'd love it if you could trust someone implicitely...the fact is that, she will trust people that you don't trust. They, in turn, will trust other people.

So, at the end of it, everyone knows - but they only shared it with people they trust, or are so far removed they're not important.

I cannot possibly say anymore without knowing more about your situation. Suffice to say, it's your decision and I pray that I've given you some good ideas to think about.

If not, at least allow me to wish you well. :slight_smile: