1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

out , relieved but still afraid of the consequences

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rayan, Oct 27, 2013.

1. rayan

rayan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's sunday , 6:10 pm ......... and i'm feeling absolutely great :icon_bigg
    today was the first time i went back to uni after my brother posted all out on my FB that i was gay . I had an exam , so i had to go. I wasn't thinking at all about what's going to happen after almost all my friends have heard the breaking news, i was only thinking about the exam ( i hardly finished studying for it - i did great btw :slight_smile:
    I didn't think at all that i'll come out to my colleagues today .
    After the exam, i was reviewing the answers with some of my friends , some students just gave me looks when they pass by us , some may through a word or 2 , but what i couldn't handle was how they made me feel down like i was a big mistake or something was wrong with me , just like my family did (except my lovely sis )
    We had 2 lectures after the exam, i didn't concentrate on any of them. I was more concentrating on what the others are doing , i could hear all the gossips and whispering around me (maybe not all of them was talking about me but some were ) I couldn't take it anymore and i was so angry (not sure if angry is the right word to describe how i felt but it's similar ) , when the last lecture ended i just found myself on the stage with the microphone in my hand asking everyone to stay in their seats , even the doctors stayed in the hall . I just spoke it up , i don't know exactly what i was thinking ( i guess i wasn't ) , i just said '' you all might have heard about the rumors of me being gay , well,for those who wants to know , YES I AM , so now that you all know , just stop all the mumbling and side talking and concentrate on what we came to learn here , which is humanity ....
    I felt so happy at that moment , it was like i was some famous pop star who has just finished his performance ...... for sure the clapping and screaming was absent but i was so proud of myself :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg ( some of my friends clapped and yelled which made me even happier)(!)(!)

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nice! That was brave, even if you don't quite know how it happened!

3. Prince

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Wow that's great Rayan! :eusa_clap: :thumbsup:
    How severe could those consequences be, though? Could you lose your friends or get despised by proffessors or anything? If you ask me, I always find it relieving to let people know who I am. All in all, this will prove who has been a real friend of yours all along and who has just been pretending.

I wish more people would be as brave as you were!

4. Ruthven

That was so brave of you. Hope you stay safe though, man. (*hug*)

He's in the middle east and it's not so gay-friendly; but I'm hoping he'll be fine.

5. rayan

rayan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i already lost 3 of my best friends ( after 5 years of our friendship ) but i still have so many friends who showed me their support (including Mark ,my first crush,but i'm over him now)
    I'm just concern about all the homophobic ppl out there ,and there are so many .. some restricted religious groups (Christians and Muslims) will not leave me alone and i'm sure about that (i'm not afraid of being beaten up by these groups -i can defend myself anyway - but they will try to cure me or whatever they call it )......
    about the professors , i didn't think about it , i hope it won't affect my relationship with them , some of them are more like friends to me .
    till now i'm fine :icon_bigg i'll deal with everything day by day and i'll see how things will go on :slight_smile:

6. arcchi

So brave (i'm clapping for you right now :eusa_clap)... I would love have all this courage (i'm too shy and coward to that kind of things). Good luck for you from now on (*hug*)

7. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Good job! It really takes guts to do something like that, and I can't help but admire your courage!

As for the consequences, I'd say that if you lose some relationships (friends, etc.), they probably weren't worth it. If they really care about you, they'll stick around. That doesn't mean that they'll adjust instantly. Give your friends/peers/whatever some time to process the information.

As my favorite Dr. Seuss quote puts it, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your courage is amazing, incredibly, awesomely amazing! Good for you for taking that step in that class. Whatever happens, you've demonstrated that you will no longer tolerate hate, innuendo and gossip.

Stay safe, and keep your head high, you've earned the right!

9. blueberrymuffin

I really admire your courage, but that is shocking to me that you had to do that and so-called adults are gossiping about you at college of all places. That would never happen here.

10. rayan

rayan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    take your time :slight_smile: until you find out who you are for real
    and when the right time comes ..... it will happen :wink:

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2013 at 04:29 AM ----------

now that is a great quote :slight_smile:
    i know that some of my friends need time to accept the new info ..... it took me years to accept myself and 3 months to come out >>> so i know it's not going to be easy for some to accept me for who i am , but they will eventually (i hope)

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2013 at 04:37 AM ----------

maybe it's just me being paranoid :confused: but i heard a lot
    homosexuality is not a common subject to talk about here , it's a very conservative society , so many subjects are unacceptable , the only times i heard this word was in lectures talking about the risk of homosexuality in getting diseases

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2013 at 04:43 AM ----------

2day was a great day for me , it wasn't as bad as i imagined , hope things will become more easier by time :slight_smile:

11. flatlander48

As you can attest to, coming out is not a smooth, linear process. And, as a reminder, you're not done yet. Every time a new person shows up in your life, it will be necessary to think about how much of yourself you want to share. However, often circumstances speak louder than words. For example, if you are at a restaurant having a quiet dinner and sitting close to your boyfriend, the message is likely conveyed. However, for someone that you may meet in a academic or professional context, perhaps not.

It all boils down to what kind of relationship you think you will have with the person going forward. If it is someone that will likely become of good friend, maybe it would be good not to hold back. It might also be good in a professional setting as people often make assumptions about family arrangements or try to find opposite sex dates for you.

Anyway, the point is that coming out is rarely a one-time thing...

12. Mr Bubbles

Wow I wish I had your courage. Good for you, I hope everything continues to go well!