1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To My Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LadyPoltergeist, Oct 27, 2013.

1. LadyPoltergeist

Out Status:
    A few people
    I really want to come out to my parents soon. I don't want them to be the last people to know, or for them to find out from someone else.
    And then there's this girl and I'm kinda flirting with her and I dunno I'm thinking it might go somewhere- I know I'd love it to and maybe I'm reading it all wrong but I think she likes me too.
    If I end up going out with her, I could come out to my parents by telling them I have a girlfriend. But... I dunno, that seems kinda unfair? To just throw them in like that without any warning?
    So do I try and come out to my parents soon, because I want them to know but also in case I end up with a girlfriend? Or would coming out by telling them I have a girlfriend actually be a good way to do it?
    I appreciate any advice.
    Thank you xx

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It sounds like that you are ready to come out to your parents. I do think it would be good to come out to your parents beforehand, so that they are not only prepared for a potential announcement that you have a girlfriend, but also for you to be able to relax and enjoy getting to know the other person without having the thoughts of 'I still need to tell my parents' lingering around.

Do you feel that your parents would be supportive/accepting?

3. LadyPoltergeist

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am so grateful for your advice... They will be understanding, I think. They might be a bit awkward and uncomfortable at first and I can imagine my mum trying to dismiss it as a phase, but... when they come to terms with it I think they'll try to be supportive.

4. SilentCreatures

I came out when I had a boyfriend. It was difficult at first to comprehend that I was gay. Afterwards we had the big meeting of boyfriend and mother. I think that was almost worse than coming out. My mother couldn't even look him in the eyes she was so nervous and scared. My boyfriend was the same. It really makes for a hilarious story but thinking of emotions for all involved it was a bit of a double whammy. Although in hindsight I wouldn't have changed a thing.

You sound so vibrant :slight_smile: all the best!!!

5. deathnotefsn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm having a bit of trouble coming out to my parents... I know they won't understand.. what do i do?

6. LadyPoltergeist

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much!