1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"childhood's End"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Paladin, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Paladin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Arthur C. Clarke, who died this year, lived in Sri Lanka. He was the sci-fiction writer who wrote "2001," and the film, which followed, which made a large impact on movie goers everywhere, (remember HAL the computer?).He also wrote a number of other sci-fi stuff, but (to me, at least, he wrote a story that was more than just a tale of imagination) one that is strongly predictive of our human future on this planet.

I won't write too much on this story because it would reveal the plot, but this much I will relate: Children, born and reared in this time frame are "different." So different that they are really a genetic novelty in the human species. They are not only a new generation but a very special one, distinguishing it from previous human generations. They are, at the very least, the last of a species that has become redundant, even dangerous, to the point that this human species must be allowed to die out. WHY? Because the human species, as we presently understand it, has become a deterent to evolutionary progress. An alien species, once considered the epitome of evil by humans, become the saviors of our species by a new generation that will bring "CHANGE!" ( a term now current in politics). Read this fine book, and contemplate where you fit into this picture. PALADIN

2. bestbinow

Out Status:
    Some people
    I read Childhood's End years ago and it has stuck with me for decades. I heard Arthur C. Clarke lecture in New Britain, CT in 1969. He said many wise things but one thing sticks with me: "we face a future where there will either be oblivion or utopia". He didn't see a messy middle ground such as we have now. In 1976 I attended a 2 day symposium at the University of Pennsylvania on the nature of a humane society. There were impressive scientists, scholars, writers, journalists, lawyers (Archibald Coxe, Krister Stendahl, Martin Marty, James Baldwin, Tony Morrison, many others). The general consensus I got from the book of lectures and the actual speeches was that a humane future depended upon extending narrow regional, nationalistic interests to the welfare of all people. It's message (to generalize shamelessly) was compatible with today's environmental movement for ecological responsibility. I am one who believes extremists in religion and politics and economic austerity have prevented a healthy humane society. We seem to be substantiating Clarke's premise for Childhood's End: as you wrote about the "previous human generations" that have become "redundant, even dangerous, to the point that this human species must be allowed to die out".

Thanks Paladin for your brilliant, pithy analysis. Can't remember exactly the year but maybe half a dozen years ago the World Health Organization wrote a statement on sexuality that accorded it a central aspect of being human, including pleasure, varieties of expressions (relevant to LGBTQs), placing reproduction in the list but not the top or sole aspect worthy of support and nurture. I believe if sexual expressions were released from the shackles of prohibition, shame, guilt-mongering, fear baiting, taboo and if violence were to be unacceptable or less tolerated, militarized, glorified--if that, then a newer, saner, more humane society would emerge. "Childhood's End" is an imaginative start in that direction. Thanks again Paladin.