1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my parents FORBID me from coming out gay - they FORBID me!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Amerigo, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Amerigo

what should i do?

long story short (though i can ellaborate if you want me to) - they don't want me to come out because:

a) they don't believe me
    b) they think i can change and should try holding hands with a girl or something lame
    c) they're terrified for my future (but as an ethnic minority living in a world where, i'm sorry to say, white privilege rules all, i am already "doomed", quite frankly)
    d) they are terrified of what the family/community will think (i have no gay relatives, homosexuality is not an option in my family bubble)

those are the reasons i have gathered from them. i have expressed how it hurts to keep lying, keep living in fear of what people may think (the whole "what if?" concept), to keep my distance from people and refrain from making friends lest they find out my deep dark secret etc. i keep this part brief as i'm sure you all know how horrid it is to be closeted.

i know coming out is no walk in the park, but hiding in the closet is worse, i know this from experience. i cannot do this alone. without my parents i have no one.

should i obey them and suffer in silence? or go against their will and hope for a good outcome? they just keep avoiding the topic since having no strong arguments of their own.

:confused:

2. fortheloveoflez

I know what I did. I went against their wishes after trying to make them happy...because I knew during the silence days I was so miserable and if they wanted me to be miserable than that is a character problem on their part. I waited until I was out of the house and of legal age and then had a talk with them basically saying this is who I am and I can't change that. It took two years for them to come around. Even though, I must say things are still not perfect it's still much better than before and they love me.

3. SilentCreatures

Essentially this is a difficult choice.

Ultimately it is up to you.

For me a key factor in my decision to come out was... do I want to live my life for me, or do I want to live it for other people.

I'm sorry you're in such a difficult situation, I wish you all the strength and courage to get through this.

All the best

4. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can kind of relate to you I can never tell my parent they have such old fashioned beliefs it would wreak everything if i told them. I really don't know what I will do as I am in a serious relationship now and if the time comes i know it will end up on tears.

Telling my parents is going to be one of the hardest things in my life and I dread that day.

But you are a different person to me maybe your parents might get over it after some time, I wish you all the luck possible anyway this is a very difficult situation. sorry if i am not much help but in these circumstances really hard to offer advice that will 100% work.

5. gingerincloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You have at least have told your parents so you are one step closer to reaching your goal. From your perspective though, do you want to be happy, or do you want your family to be happy? It seems its going to be a catch-22 situation no matter what and I personally believe you should do whatever makes you happiest. If they don't like it, that is there problem. Of course being from a different culture than I am, your family dynamics may be so that you cannot bear to hurt your family and if keeping them happy makes you happier than possibly losing them forever, you are a better person than me, good luck!

6. srslywtf

What your parents did was make some sounds with their mouths. They are legally responsible for you up to a certain age, but no person has the right to dictate another's actions.

You are free to come out whenever you want. Your parents have made a mistake... hopefully you can make this apparent to them.

Im not saying to come out in spiteful ways or anything, but come out because you want ti, not because they 'permit you'. You are your own master.

7. Amerigo

thank you guys for the support, really it's a lot just to be recognised. i really value every post, you make some considerate points. i have some thinking to do!

*hugs all round*

8. confusednafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know what its like to be unable to turn to my parents, its no picnic but its better than trying to be something your not. Someone has already stated that your parents are out of order and I agree, your happieness and emotional wellbeing should be the priority.

9. GayNerd

I'm in the same boat as you. :/

What I'm doing is basically waiting for another time to have another talk with them about Sexuality. Now, I don't know your age, but if you bring a male home as a date (I'm guessing from your statistics, no offense) they may start believing you after you and your boyfriend have a serious talk with your parents. But for now, tell some friends who can support you. I know it may be going behind your parents' backs, but I have also done this. They can also help convince your parents if you want to have another talk about your Sexuality sooner.

10. blueberrymuffin

Your parents can't be so omnipresent that you tell people and they find out instantly. Anyway, you're gay and they'll just have to deal with it. If they find it 'shameful' that's their problem. They aren't being very helpful as is so just tell who you want, and hopefully others will be better support.

11. Amerigo

oh my god, such varied and interesting responses!

12. Silver Sparrow

If you aren't financially dependent on them and can support yourself, and you would be safe or willing to deal with possible getting hurt, go for it!

13. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that feeling. My parents won't let me come out as trans, since it's "NOT NATURAL!1!ELEVEN!" But that's a topic for elsewhere.
    Anyways, while I think that your parents are completely wrong about this issue, I also believe that they aren't trying to be malicious. It is still very dangerous to be a homosexual in many parts of the world. Your parents are trying to protect you, though, so it's not a good idea to respond by throwing caution to the wind. You should only come out to people who can help you, and are supportive of LGBT rights.

14. Amerigo

just now i have received permission to be myself :slight_smile:

these are emotional times.

15. robotman

Good atleast you can be yourself now! I am no where near to coming out yet to other people but I hope I get there soon like you. I am happy for you. I will message you!

16. sysreq

Yeah. Especially about things like love.

My advice? How old are you? Cause the average age at which you'd probably be able to move away is like 16-18...so
    Get away
    Move away
    run away
    drive away
    fly away
    BREAKAWAY!

No seriously. Keep quiet (or don't if you're that kind of rebellious person) till they kick you out or until you can kick yourself out.