1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out while at uni

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gibson234, Oct 28, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm at university at the moment. Does anyone have any advice on how to come out to my family? I was going to wait in till I got a relationship but that could be a while. Should I ring home or tell them while I'm home. How should I do it? Should I just say "I'm gay" or work my way into it? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. patrickcarp

I'm in the same place as you, and i had the same ideas. what i've decided to do is wait till christmas break, drop a lot of hints during the break and tell them the night before i leave for university again. i thought about waiting till i was in a relationship, but as you said, it could be a while, and a relationship shouldnt be the be all end all to determine sexuality. best of luck!

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Erm...waiting until you're in a relationship could be problematic. The reason I say that is because is if your parents are looking for someone to "blame," your boyfriend would be dead on in the line of sight. Therefore, I would wait to get into a relationship after you come out. That's what I would do, and I'm not you; therefore, I cannot control what you do, I can only provide advice.

What I did: Wrote a letter and left it on my mom's nightstand right before I left for university.

It all depends on what you want to do, if you cannot bring yourself to say the words to your folks, I would write a letter. But if you can muster the courage to confront them, then I would tell them while you're at home.

4. method

I think why one might prefer to be in a relationship before coming out is that there is no doubt or comeback to say "how do you even know like guys?"

Having or not having a partner should not have a bearing on how gay you feel you are.

If you know you are, then you are, and that's the only thing people need to be told.

Gibson, if you're close to your family and think you'll get a good reaction, I'd suggest to do it in person. It's the most open way to do it, and to be fully vulnerable is a good way to demonstrate honesty with your family.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would do it in person, tell them that you are pretty sure that you are gay, and are going to date other men and try to establish a monogamous relationship with a man if you find someone who is compatible. And, that you wanted to tell them first so that if you do find someone and bring him home, he will be someone who is very important to you and should be treated as such with respect, just as they would treat a potential daughter-in-law.