1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changed my 'interested in', now what?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Spirit, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Spirit

I think I'm to the point where I'm ready to become openly gay. The only thing I can really think of doing is making a post on facebook addressing the fact that I changed my preference to women. My mom has asked why I just can't tell people, but this feels like a way more efficient way to do it. I'm considering telling some of my close neighborhood friends before I post, but I'm sure that they'll probably be fine if I don't.

So any suggestions?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say look through your friends list first and see if there's anyone you're not out to that you'd rather tell personally. If not, I see nothing wrong with coming out on facebook.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I did was I came out to my close friends via PM or in person. Then I posted a big announcement to those that I had not came out to.

4. Spirit

Thanks guys. I've been thinking about what I want to say. My mom really wants me to tell her what I'm gonna do before I do it though.

5. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I say don't worry about facebook. Just tell one or two close friends, let them know that you're openly gay and it's ok to tell other people, and I guarantee you, the whole school will know in 24 hours. That's pretty much what happened to me. No one cared or had any problem with it, people (especially in highschool) love to gossip.

6. Spirit

Yeah, I've been counting on the gossip train to do some of the work for me. Now that I think about it, I have a few ideas about who those people could be. Facebook might help more people see it though. I'm just worried about my religious friends.

7. LuckyDalek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In regards to your religious friends, there is a chance for negativity. I am religious and have encountered some friction between church and other religious people about my sexuality. I had to explain, I am the same person they knew before I came out, just because I have a label now, hasn't changed who I am. For the most part, I am accepted and the people who could not accept me, well, they have their opinions and choices and I am not going to let that ruin my life. Best of luck.