1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to my mum

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confusednafraid, Oct 29, 2013.

1. confusednafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Iv decided to come out to my mum, the trouble is we've never really been close and I dont know where to start. Its the first time iv had to talk to her about something emotional and im terrified.. can anyone help

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have an idea of how accepting she is of homosexuals? :astonished:

3. GayNerd

Just tell your Mom that you need to tell her something very important. Tell her this when things are calm and nothing is going crazy. Then, sit her down, take a deep breath, and say it. She, of course, would have lots of questions, like if she caused you to be Bisexual and if you are sure about it, and concerns like about what others would say and/or think about you and how life will be for you. Try to be prepared for questions like these and more. She might be totally cool with it, though. But the only way to know is just to say it.

Best of luck to you. :wink:

EDIT: If your Mom isn't accepting of Gay people, wait until you can support yourself because she may kick you out of the house.

If she is accepting of Gay people though, don't think you're 'off the hook'. My parents are accepting of Gay people, but still did have a different opinion when I Came Out. It could also be like this for you.

#3 GayNerd, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  4. confusednafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    She would say she's ok with homosexuality but like you say it may be different when it affects her. Iv never known her to be in a situation where the reaction is spontanious and therefore honest . I think your right though the direct approach does seem best

5. GayNerd

Do you need any more help?

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She will probably be surprised and confused at first, but if she's ok with homosexuality in the abstract the odds of her supporting you in time are way, way, way higher. It took you a lot of time to come to terms with yourself as LGBT. As much as we all want those we tell to be immediately 100% accepting as soon as we tell them, it often takes the people in our lives time to come to terms with it too.

I also just came out to my parents as bi, so I get what you're going through. Message me if you want to talk.

#6 SemiCharmedLife, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. confusednafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well im gonna have a think about what im gonna say an try an organise how im gonna say it. Thanx again for the advice

8. GayNerd

You're welcome. :slight_smile: And I'm here if you want to talk. :wink: