1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

id come out, but??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rena, Oct 30, 2013.

1. rena

I feel like im ready to burst, iv come to terms with who i am and i feel ready to tell people there is a few things preventing me from doing so and the main one is. Next year im required to stay with my father because my mother is moving to wales, iv never lived with my dad (my parents havent been together in my lifetime but they do get along) iv seen him once a month at the most through out my whole life.
    He's always got something to say, always criticizing my music taste my style my everything pretty much i know that his parents are really religious and kinda critical of everything, they don't like the way my mothers raised me as it is.

im worried about coming out, last month he told me id never be able to go around my nan's again unless i take my piercing out because they'd forbid it. so im pretty sure their not going to like the whole "Im gay" thing.
    i don't want to risk not having somewhere to live, i don't think he'd have any problems with saying you cant stay with me and me being homeless because its not like he has any real attachment.

maybe i should just not say anything, its like iv kept it in this long a few more years wont hurt, i don't think their is anyway of telling my friends without my family eventually finding out.

i don't know im completely out of my comfort zone.

2. Mr Bubbles

I can definitely relate, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. With that being said, there are a few questions you need to ask yourself to really determine what you should do.

1. How long will you be living with your dad?
    2. What do you think the possibility of him reacting violently are? (Definitely don't come out yet if you don't feel like you would be safe)
    3. If the worst happens and he kicks you out, would you be able to live on your own without resorting to living on the streets?
    4. How does it make you feel keeping your orientation a secret?

Those are the most important things that I can think of to question in your situation. The main thing is that you need to make sure you're safe. If you feel like your dad would just disapprove, but not really do anything about it then it might be ok to go ahead and come out.

In my opinion, as long as it won't really hurt you to wait to come out, I would probably wait until you move out of your dad's place just to play it safe, although I don't know everything about your situation. I hope this helps at least somewhat.