1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oops left my "Interested In" on Facebook public!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by andrew812, Oct 31, 2013.

1. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

I left my "Interested In" public. Should I just play it off and say that somebody hacked my Facebook if somebody ask?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're not ready to come out, then yes. But you could also see it as an opportunity to be casual about it. "Yeah, I like guys."

3. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

Yeah I kind of am, but tomorrow I will probably change my mind.lol

4. Silver Sparrow

If you aren't ready to come out to them, then yeah, play it off as being hacked.

5. RainbowMan

You could either play it off as getting hacked, or use it as an opportunity to come out. My personal experience with coming out (via Facebook or any other method, really) has been nothing but positive. I thought that I'd lose some members of my family, and I really haven't had many negative reactions.

I'm not going to lie to you and say the experience has been entirely rosy, but it really does feel much better to be more out than I was (I still have some difficulty at work, for instance - some people who are my FB friends know, but generally work folks aren't on my FB, and those that are have respected my privacy and kept it on the DL for the most part). I can't claim to be completely out, but it's not hard to find out if you're interested - you don't even need to be my friend on FB to find out (my Interested In is public....)

6. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

I know I always told myself that I would never come out on Facebook, because I thought it would be disrespectful to my parents for not telling them first. But they are homophobic, and have crude opinions about anything LGBT. Maybe I should just keep it public and not say anything about it. I could just let people find out for themselves.

7. LD579

You could hide it if you were so inclined. Go to your main page (Your profile page), and then go to Activity Log. The rest should be easy enough to figure out...

Alternatively, as RainbowMan said, you could use it as an opportunity to actually come out. It really depends on how you're feeling about all this. It can be scary, but it can also be potentially very gratifying to relieve yourself of having to hide.

8. Lewis

Trust me - nobody will ever see it unless they are very nosy. I have had mine public for a while now and nobody has mentioned it.

9. srslywtf

Mums are nosey creatures. Mine saw it somehow.. i thought it was set to friends only. Said it was probably a joke by friends - sigh. Was asked on the spot.

I also accidentally left FB up the other day at their house when i was visiting, she read literally everything. Luckily there was no proof, but some references so... i think they know.

But yeah, dont trust any family members to give you one shred of privacy... it seems like most people's arent like that, but mine always hav been.

10. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

My mom is like the FBI she knows my Facebook page front to back. But if she knows oh well I guess.