1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

afraid to say it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by trollblodet, Nov 3, 2013.

1. trollblodet

I first considered the possibility that I may not be straight several years ago. I've dated several guys over the years, but while they may have liked me, I never saw any of them as more than friends. I notice girls more than guys and feel good when those feelings are mutual. I consider myself bisexual because I am occasionally attracted to men, but not often. I was in denial about this for years, hoping that if I found the "right one", these feelings would straighten themselves out. (Bad pun sorry. XD)

I'm worried about coming out. I've not told anyone so far, but I feel like I'm ready to.

I'm not worried about what the people in my life will think, at least in the long run. I'm fortunate enough to have parents who support this, and many of my friends are openly gay or bisexual, or are supporters.

It's just most of them think I'm straight (because I might have lied and told them that). Whenever I was directly asked about my orientation, I wasn't ready to tell anyone. But now I feel terrible because I don't know how to bring it up - "oh jk I'm not really straight after all". I wish no one had asked because now I feel stuck in that lie and I don't know how to break from it.

2. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know exactly how you feel right now! I managed to deny my sexuality to everyone for about 5 or 6 years. Every time someone asked me I was never ready to say "well, actually I'm gay". And every time I denied it, I couldn't help but feeling that it was another opportunity missed and I carried on falling deeper and deeper into this elaborate lie. It took me a while to get comfortable with saying it. In fact, I've been out a while now and it's only recently that I can actually say the words "I'm gay" to people without feeling awkward about it. All I can say is, it takes time, but you'll get there eventually. You already said that you have supportive parents and many of your friends will support this. Just don't rush into things, do it when you feel you're 100 percent ready and at one step at a time, theres no rush :slight_smile:

Good luck, I hope everything works out for the best for you :grin::grin::grin:

3. RollTide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't care what others say! Express yourself. Be whoever your heart wants to be! At the end of the day that's ur life life!

4. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know what you're talking about :slight_smile: I was in denial for a really long time and when I finally wanted to come out I was terrified for exactly the same reason: everyone thought I was straight, I had told people when asked that I was straight, etc. But the thing is, people get it. When I came out, no one really made a big deal about the fact that I had been 'lying' to them or whatever. Because it's not really lying. I mean, it's omitting the truth, but no one deserves or should get to know the truth until YOU are ready to tell them. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just come out to someone, force yourself to do it (I had to come out by text I was so terrified), and if anyone gets angry because you've been "lying" to them, well then they clearly either aren't really good friends or they'll come around later and apologize for being a jerk.

This is still my favorite quote, and I know I overuse it, but Dr. Seuss said, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind," and this quote has never meant more to me than in this exact situation. Just be yourself, and the ones who don't matter are the ones who will go away!

5. trollblodet

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm hanging out with a friend later, and I might tell her.