1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well then...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Arizona, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Arizona

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The only group that I haven't really come out to...well, let's be honest, I have actively avoided anything resembling coming out, are my dad and step-mom and the circle of friends around them.

And every time I think maybe, something happens to remind me that it wouldn't be a good idea. Which really sucks.

Last night was one of those times.
    We were throwing a baby shower for a friend. My mom wasn't thrilled to be doing it, mostly because she is extremely busy but none of the friends friends were going to do it, so I was guilted into co-hosting it.
    At one point, the mom-to-be had said that her mom had asked if there would be a christening and she had said no. She said she was going to educate her kid about a lot of stuff and let them choose. Ok. I don't really agree with that (I was raised in my parents faith, which gave me a good foundation. I was also educated about a lot of different faiths and supported when I wanted to explore other religions. I never understand the people who say they have strong faith, but it isn't good enough for their kids.) but I digress.
    While talking about that, she said that she would rather her kid be gay than Mormon.
    All I could think was "well, I guess i can never come out to you".

One of our other friends, who I haven't actually come out to, being in that group, but we have talked about things and he knows without the words jumped on that and said "but gay is ok. You will be fine with that". She didn't really say much to that. "ya, sure whatever" kind of response.

So, I was a little resentful for being forced to give this party for a variety of reasons. And I felt bad for feeling that way, even though if it was anyone else I would say there were completely justified in their feelings.

Then she says that. And in this group, she would have been the one that I would have said would have been the safest to come out to. :bang:

Who would have thought my Tea Party staunch Catholic mother and step-dad would have been easier and more understanding?