1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32, Male, coming out to myself. Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ynot201013, Nov 3, 2013.

1. ynot201013

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HI,
    I've been struggling with my sexuality since I can remember. From my first gay experience (16) until last year I considered myself "curious" until finally last year I came out to myself and to some friends and family. I grew up in a very conservative small town, but I recently moved to a major metro area.
    In the last few months (almost a year) I've been slowly exploring my bisexuality. I used to think that my interest in men was only physical, but it is not and in fact I think I might be slightly more gay than straight, but I am still very attracted to women. When I moved to my new city I chose the local gay neighborhood, and I've been going to the local bars, clubs, cafes, etc.
    I've been out with a few guys in the last year, and I've loved it. I also met a guy I actually like. Yet I feel guilty as hell sometimes. Sometimes I find myself liking, saying or doing things that are stereotypical gay yet I don't do it on purpose (I am not effeminate). Sometimes I feel really at home in the gay neighborhood and sometimes I feel like an impostor in this community. I wonder if all this is a reaction to years of repressing myself (no zealot like a convert) and to what extent it is all part of the normal process of coming out.
    The guilt is fading rapidly, and I would not trade the freedom I feel for anything in the world. Any advice, tips or comments that might help on this journey would be welcome.

2. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I'm a lot younger than you and don't have as much experience with this kind of thing, but I know that I sometimes feel like an imposter, like you talked about. But I feel like you've got things pretty much good. You're being yourself and not feeling repressed or hated or anything anymore, and that is awesome. I live in a moderately conservative small town, so I know what you're talking about with hiding/repression etc. It's not fun :\ but now it seems like you're out of the low zone and things are fine. Just keep being yourself and loving life!

3. biggayguy

Welcome to EC! I was in denial about my sexuality for years. Your story sounds very familiar. I came out to my parents as bisexual at the age of thirty six. Until recently I thought I was bisexual. A month or so back I watched a video called Prayers For Bobby. I related to Bobby so strongly that it made me realize that I'm gay and not bi'. Since coming out as gay I find myself naturally doing gay things like; gesturing more, raising the pitch of my voice, getting a manicure, wearing more colorful clothes. It hasn't felt fake at all. Just do what feels natural.