1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So i've decided to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UK_guy, Nov 4, 2013.

1. UK_guy

After several years of denial and after coming across this website I have finally decided to come out of the closet via email to my mum as I'm travelling at the moment and wondering how to say that compose the email without it sounding stupid, any suggestions are welcome.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Many EC'ers have come out by letter or email.
    They have sometimes posted drafts here for others to comment on before sending the final version.
    Here's an example:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/104971-coming-out-letter.html
    but there are many more.
    If it feels right for you, and you can't/don't want to do it face to face, then letter writing seems to suit a lot of people.
    Good luck

3. Abbra

I came out to my parents by letter and then talked to them a day later. I personally think it has upsides beyond not having to face them. It gives everyone a chance to soak everything and have the conversation to the best of their ability.

4. biggayguy

You still have to face them. It just gives you a chance to say everything you want to say without feeling pressured. Think of it as more of a stepping stone. It won't sound stupid if you just say what's in your heart.

5. UK_guy

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated :slight_smile:, so I have emailed my mum this morning and I'm just waiting for to read the email, so nervous :/

6. method

Aww whatever the outcome we're here for you. Hope it does go well though.

7. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree, we're all here. Thinking about you and hoping that she accepts it well! Let us know how you're doing!

8. tamy

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im sure everything will be okay good luck

9. bscott92

It's always tough hitting the "send" button at times like that. But at least it's over. Let us know how everything goes.

10. UK_guy

Hey guys thanks for thinking of me today it has been appreciated. :slight_smile:. So my mum has replied to my email, she accepts me for who I am, she thought I was probably bisexual, she was concerned that I was asexual though as I've never mentioned any guys I've been with or introduced her to any girlfriends as I still live with my parents which is slightly awkward but she's saving her questions she has for me for Christmas which is when I'm back home after travelling, she's also going to let my dad who I don't have a great relationship with and younger brother who I get along alright with know too. It's going to be a long six weeks :/. Also thanks again for the help guys :slight_smile:

#10 UK_guy, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013