1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Gran on facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Soillse, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I should clarify that I'm not out - at all - but a group of my friends, who are all straight but not narrow, are all kind of touchy-feely. During a party one of my friends decided she wanted a picture of me and another friend, so we were posing when she suddenly kissed my cheek. It was just messing about but the picture - now on facebook - looks kind of intimate (she has her hand wrapped right around my waist, mine is wrapped around her arm, and her eyes are closed). I will clarify again that neither of us want to be anything but friends. The weird thing though is that both my gran and my mum liked the picture and my gran commented that it was a lovely, sweet picture. I don't like to lie so I've always been gender-neutral about stuff, and my mum has started to always do the same. I feel like it's a good sign that neither of them kicked up a fuss about the fact that I had a picture like that on facebook, but am kind of worried in case they suspect anyway. Advice?

2. biggayguy

Could it be that they already know and are waiting for you to say something? That happens quite often. The people we love know us better than we think they do.

3. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Maybe, it's not that easy to do though.

4. GirlWhoWaited

It sounds like you have a pretty great family. They might already know. But you're right, coming out is hard. I've only done it once and it was terrifying, but in the end, I'm really glad I did it. It seems like you're off to a good start. Remember, it doesn't matter how small your steps are, as long as they're in the right direction. (*hug*)

5. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  6. Silver Sparrow

Your family sounds great. Have you thought about perhaps writing a letter to them?

7. English Frenchman

Your family sounds amazing. If only I could come out to my family as I have come out to my best friend. I’m sure in your case, the benefits outweigh the seemingly low risk.
    I always planned of coming out, by yelling to myself first alone, in the mirror, like a mantra “Mom, Dad, I’m bisexual” over and over and over until finally i had the courage to tell them. If only...