1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making my friends stay quiet about my sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 143kc, Nov 5, 2013.

1. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I've told my mom, coach and closest friends about my sexuality. Lately I have been too busy with school work/running to even care about my sexuality (I have practically no spare time)..... But my mom and friends are all quite quiet people, and a few times recently they have politely complained about having to keep my "secret". I honestly can't see why they would feel the need to mention my sexuality to others, but I feel bad making them "stay quiet". I really don't care if Im out or not (I live in a liberal area with mostly liberal friends), and have only restricted a full outing because my mom would flip out (she isn't the most approving). Should I just tell my friends and mom that they can tell others about my sexuality? To me, it isn't a big deal..... I'm successful in what I do and who I screw shouldn't make any difference. I may be gay, but that doesn't mean I don't still love dresses, and other girly stuff... I'm also still prude as can be (and will remain that way for a while).

Thanks!

2. GayNerd

If it isn't a big deal to you, you could tell them that they can tell others. But if you want to tell the people, Come Out to them instead of having somebody else do it for you.

3. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you are ready to come out to the world, then go ahead and tell your friends it's all cool. It sounds like you're comfortable with who you are, and that most everyone in your community will be comfortable with who you are. I'm not sure what you mean when you say your mother isn't the most approving. You've already come out to her, so why should it matter to her whether everyone else knows? Is she scared you will be bullied or something? If that's all, then I personally would come out anyway. And in fact, I did. My mother is a little less than totally happy with my sexuality, and seems to think it's some sort of phase. But I know what's up, and my friends are all cool with it, and my dad (as I've just recently learned) is REALLY supportive of me.

So basically, like I said, if you're comfortable with who you are, why should what your mother thinks stop you?

4. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ^my mom has 2 core issues: #1, she has a lot of internalized homophobia and since I have not dated yet, she keeps clinging to the hope that I will change my mind, but once I'm out to everyone, in her mind, I will not be able to change. #2. She is terrified of me being bullied (in the past I was severely bullied), but I have learned to toughen up and those around me aren't homophobic (only on rare occasions will I hear "gay" or "fag" as an insult). I want to take the plunge, but like with everything, I am slightly terrified to jump....