1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to explain to family.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Skov, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Skov

So, I recently came out to my sister. She was supportive and said she loves me, but she wants to "talk" about it when I visit her. She is in a little bit of shock, and she keeps asking me how I know. The thing is, I don't really want to give her the 100% truth. A lot of the reasons I know for sure are very private and personal, and I really don't want to share them with family. There are just some things that I think they don't really need to know. However, I don't want them to think I'm going through a phase or something. So, I'm just curious how to explain to them I know without getting all super personal. Or, am I going to have to get pretty dang personal and descriptive. I guess what are your thoughts? Or how did you explain to family if they asked how you knew?

2. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, when I came out my mother was fairly shocked and defaulted to the 'it's just a phase' thing. I had to repeatedly tell her that I was 'pretty dang sure' I was bi, and even then it's taking her a long while to get used to the idea. My dad was really awesome and didn't ask for any more detail than I gave him.

Don't feel like you have to answer any questions that make you uncomfortable, even if it's your family. They might not understand right away but I'm sure they'll come around if you give them time. If it's easier, have your sister just ask you yes or no questions. Then you can respond with yes, no, or pass, and you don't have to explain the inner workings of your deepest secrets.

Hope I helped :slight_smile:

3. Sully

I'm 20 and recently came out to my sister. Her questions weren't too scary, "do you feel better for telling me?", "have you told mum and dad?", "I assume your friends know?". That sort of stuff, not, how do you know?, why would you be gay? Etc.

Just answer the questions you feel comfortable answering :slight_smile:

4. mkchoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom asked me just last week if I was gay and also spent about 20 minutes asking me how i know. I just laughed and tried to ignore the question because it is very strange to try to explain. I was thinking maybe ask my mom "well how do you know you're interested in guys?"
    or something along those lines

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard some people use the line "the same way you knew you were straight"

6. Skov

Thanks everyone! I really like the yes/no idea and the same way you did idea