1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slowly coming out to people.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by McNuggie, Nov 7, 2013.

1. McNuggie

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Just 2 weeks ago I started accepting that I was gay, and I've currently told 6 people. I am afraid to tell anyone than my friends/old friends, because if it gets out to my school I'll be even more hated than I already am, as my school is full of people who hate gays. I do not like holding it in, and keeping it a secret, but I also do not want to be bullied for it. What do I do?

2. Lucky Oshawott

First thing's first: Congrats on managing to come out to your friends! Other than that, I really do believe that if you feel the environment you're in is not a safe one to come out, you shouldn't. It's really not worth risking your own safety. It would be best to come out to those you're sure are accepting. But you have to make sure you can trust the people you tell.

3. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So proud of your courage! It's hard to come out to yourself, let alone your friends! I agree with Lucky Oshawott insofar as if you think your environment is not safe to come out, then it's probably better not to. On the other hand, I know it sucks keeping your sexuality hidden. Ideally, you could move somewhere where people are more accepting, but I know that's not always a realistic idea. The decision is always yours, but try to think of what the worst someone in your community would likely do to you if they were to take your sexuality badly. If it's just stuff like name-calling, then I might come on out and party. But if you think they are likely to actually physically hurt you or emotionally scar you, then stay in.

I hope I helped! :slight_smile:

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you have already come out to the people that matter to you. Why would you want to come out to jerks that might bully you? Eventually, the word is probably going to get around as a rumor, or a fact if you interact publicly with a date, but there is no reason you have stated that suggests you need to come out to the world in general right now.

Just take the attitude that if someone asks if you are gay and you want them to know it, then tell them you are, otherwise there is no reason to broadcast it to people who probably don't care anyway. If someone asks who you don't want to know, just tell them that you don't know why they are asking, but you have no attraction to them, so they need to ask someone else if they are looking for a date but, since these kind of things are personal, you won't tell anyone they asked.