1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mind's made up; I really need to come out to mom and dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by clockworkfox, Nov 7, 2013.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm turning 23 in December, and I've been slowly coming to terms with my identity since I first started really thinking deeply about gender at 17, when the part of me constantly and silently insisting that I wasn't a girl refused to be ignored. When I was 18, I saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch for the first time, and the character of Yitzhak resonated with me because of the female casting choice. It was the first time I realized than a woman could become a man, and that this whole transgender thing ran two ways - i didn't have to be a woman in a male's body to be trans. It was the first spark in my self discovery. I quickly came to realize why I'd been so seriously asking my boyfriends if they'd still love me if I was a man, something I'd always though to be a weird hypothetical I'd compulsively ask. It became obvious that gender really wasn't binary, something I'd said forever but suppressed in myself for fear of the shame that was sure to follow from my peers, that all the years of saying I was "a girl, kinda" were valid, it wasn't a weird quirk. I started to realise that the reason so many assurances of my physical beauty felt like bullshit had nothing to do with internalized beauty standards I wasn't even conscious of, but a deep sort of dysphoria - i was upset because my chest was too big, after all, and who's beauty standards call for flat-chested women that effectively resemble young men? I learned I could do something about this, and it didn't change everything, but it was a violent awakening to what I wanted, who I was, and who I could be.

And for the past five years, as I've become more comfortable with who I am, my parent's haven't been along for the ride. They're completely in the dark. I'm their daughter, their weird and quirky artist daughter. Their little girl with ribbons in her hair even now, almost 23, that's what they see when they look at me. And I need to smash that image. I need them to see me as I am.

I never feel ok anymore, and it used to be so passive back in high school when I was suppressing everything and cutting myself all the time. But it's getting unbearable. And I don't know how to come out.

It's funny that as comfortable with it all as I am when I'm alone, when it comes to telling them, I get so ashamed. :frowning2:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it'll be scary, but good luck telling them!

3. Nick07

Thank you for sharing your interesting story :slight_smile:

What about starting to change your appearance, your clothes etc, if you already haven't?
    What about telling them about the trans* friends you have and their struggle a slowly introduce your parents to the world of trans* people, so that they know something about it before you come out to them?

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Danke, madame. (*hug*)

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2013 at 10:40 PM ----------

Let's see...

When I was a kid, my mom grew my hair long. When I turned ten I'd cut it all off to my shoulders, and over the years it got progressively shorter. In the past three years, it's never grown past my chin. When I went away for college, I stopped applying makeup and wearing heels. And over the past two years, I've aquired a lot of neutral/guy's clothes. They make up the majority of my wardrobe, and I rarely wear girl's clothes anymore. When I do, they're fairly boyish - flannel button downs, unembellished jeans. I've always worn duller hues and darker washes, so the fact that most of my clothes are pretty dark isn't surprising. I also bind frequently.

I am not a subtle guy.

And this whole not-subtle thing I do got my dad to ask if I was a lesbian. Despite the fact that I had a boyfriend. He was pretty relieved, since he didn't "think it was in his genes, anyway". Way to go, dad. :dry:

I have some trans friends, but I don't know any of them in person. It would be great if I could find other trans individuals in my area to hang out with - I know there's at least 5 in my city, but I'm awkward and bad at friendship, so outside of parties we don't talk really. My parents and I don't really talk much, so it's hard to start a conversation like you suggested with them. It would be really great if I could find a way to open up a conversation on the topic, though. I wish I could gauge their opinions before blindly spilling this pseudo-secret all over the place.

5. Nick07

It seems that your father cares and thinks about things (he initiated the talk and didn't decide to overlook it), but he probably knows nothing about being trans*.

I count my internet friends into 'friends' too. So I started talking for example about my friend and what we had talked about and then mentioned his 'partner' - and in my language it was clear that I was talking about a male partner.
    We never ever talked about lgbt in our family in my life. But those little short talks helped me understand that my dad was not ok with the subject, but my mom was.

You can use news in newspapers too. There was the trans* Miss of the world competition not long ago if I am not mistaken. You can look up pictures, show them to your parents with 'look what I came across, this is amazing' or something, then mention they were born in male bodies, and then explain that they are not drag queens etc.

6. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That would be something to look for. I haven't seen it myself, but I'm curious about it now, and it might be one way to bring the topic up.

I'm sure I'll figure something out. It's like I said, though, we really don't talk much, so trying to bring ANY subject up is tricky.

7. Nick07

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh wow! This is really nice! They all seem so happy and confident, they seem like just normal girls. I don't mean normal as in cis, I mean normal like, they go home at the end of the day, feed the cat, watch some tv. There's no stigma to them, like the sort of image the media often likes to progect about transpeople.