1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my Brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Absol, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been throwing the ideal around for awhile and I think I'm ready to, but I would like to hear what some of y'all think.

I think my brother is okay with the LGBT, but he does make some jokes that could be mildly offensive. I have been taken back by some, but I think all he's doing is trying to get a laugh. His wife on the other hand is very supportive and she sort of has him under her thumb, so I think I'll be okay. :lol:

The only other thing that's making me hesitant is because they are expecting their first child here in a couple of weeks and I don't want to put anymore things on his mind. Also, even though we live like 5 mins. apart, I hardly see him due to him working all the time, I'm thinking about telling him around Thanksgiving due to the holiday break.(he's a chef at a college)

So to recap, I think he'll be okay with it, I'm just worried that the timing is really bad...

2. English Frenchman

Well, just because you make a few offensive jokes, doesn’t mean you don’t like that group of people. My dad makes jew jokes a lot, but it didn’t stop him from marrying one. Happily married for 30 years, I might add.
    The fact you mention his wife is a big supporter of LGBT people, pretty much puts you in the clear. If they are married, they have to have some kind of likemindedness, so I would assume your brother is perfectly okay with it. He just sounds like a joker, and there’s nothing wrong with that.
    Go ahead and tell him. But don’t be wishy washy about it. Be firm in the fact that there’s no possibility you might not be gay.
    Plus, that baby should be considered very lucky to have a gay uncle. I have two, and they’re the best uncles I could wish for.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't pay much attention to his jokes. He is likely repeating behaviour from his environment without really thinking. And, after all, blood is thicker than water.

4. bscott92

I wouldn't read too much into his jokes. My friends still joke around me...and they know. I would go ahead and tell him, as long as it's something you want to do. Don't let the baby be an excuse for not telling him.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His jokes may just be an invitation for you to come out to him, if he suspects you are gay but isn't really bothered by it, trying to make you feel like it is no big deal. I doubt that most straight people realize that their jokes are offensive to some, and a good insider laugh to another; some people just aren't that sensitive. In any event, coming out is about what you want to do and when you are ready to do it. The people you come out to will deal with it at their own priority rate.

6. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the responses y'all! Huh, I've been dropping hints about being gay to him, but I've thought they went over his head, but he may have got them and it honestly sounds like something he would do. He also was a jock in school and played football, so it could be remnants from those days. I also meant to add that he's only 16 months older than me, so we're pretty close.

Yeah I figured I was just making excuses, at least it was just one. A couple of months ago, I would of had a whole list. :lol:

@EnglishFrenchman: Thanks, I'm already an uncle to my sister's three boys and I'm looking forward to the task again.:slight_smile:

7. southernboy87

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I told my brother 2 months ago and its only made us closer, he was a little shocked and kinda caught off guard but he told me he loved me and supported me. It took a huge wgt off my shoulders. but, only you will know if and when , this was just my experience and Im so glad I did it. I love my brother and he means the world to me.