1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to respond to questions

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thisisawug, Nov 10, 2013.

1. thisisawug

Hi everyone! :icon_bigg

So after I came out to one of my friends as bi, she asked me how I knew, and I didn't quite know how to answer. (This was the fourth friend I had come out to, and the first three had all been absolutely supportive, no questions asked, so I wasn't really prepared for any questions like that.)

In the end I think I said something like "I like girls in... that way" but that made her and definitely me feel very uncomfortable (not because I don't like girls but because we both go to a very sheltered all-girls' school and neither us nor any of our close friends have ever had a romantic relationship with anyone).

So my question is: is there a better way of communicating to a straight person that you are both romantically and sexually attracted to the same sex without making either of you feel uncomfortable?

Thanks very much for any advice! :slight_smile:

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll usually say something like "I just feel it. When you know you know" or "the same way you know you're attracted to (gender they're attracted to)."

I don't go into much more detail than that unless it's with someone I'm very comfortable with.

3. thisisawug

Yeah, those both sound good. I was a bit over-excitable with the whole coming-out thing at the time, so I think I'll be better prepared if anyone ever asks me a similar question. Thanks for the advice! :slight_smile:

4. Skov

I had a similar situation with my sister, and I asked for advice and used some of that. So, pretty much what I said was "The same way you knew you knew you liked guys. There is no difference." She still kinda questioned saying, "well I can tell a girls hot, but that doesn't mean I'm attracted to her." I said, "Well same here with girls haha, but I know I am attracted to guys. It's not like there is a list of symptoms like: I like to style my hair and my normal body temperature is 99.5 degrees, so that means I'm gay. I just know I'm attracted to guys the same way you know that you are. There is no difference." And I think that helped her understand.

5. thisisawug

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks very much for the advice. I guess explaining it in terms of their own sexuality is probably the best way to make sure they understand.

Thanks again for all the advice. I feel like I'll be much better prepared in future, and especially as and when I decide to tackle the parental issue. :confused: