1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PISSED OFF - Brother snooped on my computer

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sdc91, Jun 10, 2008.

1. sdc91

I'M PISSED OFF.

I went to shower, and when I got back I noticed someone had snooped on my laptop.

I know it was my brother and I know exactly what he did. He searched "gay" on the hard drive and opened up the first matching document, which was an MSN conversation between me and Ryan.

I don't know if he ctrl+F "gay" on that or not, but I'm pretty sure he did.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO PRIVACY?!

2. dsfox2009

I know what you mean. Yesterday, I swear I turned off my computer befor eI went to work. But, I come home and its turned on. Somethings fishy...good luck with that though!

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you thought about locking your computer when you leave it unattended with stuff on it you don't want people to see? Not that your brother should be snooping on your computer (sounds like a little @#$@#) but why provide even the possiblity that he could?

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Password.

Password password password.

Lex

5. sdc91

Usually I close the lid and lock it but this time I didn't.

Anyway, he just told me he wanted to talk, and he said it was alright and he was totally fine with it, but he just said it was a bit awkward cause I'm his twin.

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he's your twin, isn't he supposed to know things like that?

Sorry... I'm poking fun. I hear people who are twins hate it when people assume stuff like they're telepathic or something.

Is he your identical twin? Because yeah, I guess I could see that throwing him for a loop, what with gayness supposedly being all genetic and everything. (For what it's worth, I'm not convinced it's 100% genetic.) Maybe he just needs reassuring that it's all right for him to like girls?

7. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I have an identical twin who is straight. But I imagine he'd be confused and worried if he learnt I was gay because there is a trend that if one twin is gay, so is the other one. Anyway your brother had a sort of good reaction, even though he needs a good slapping for snooping through your things

8. sdc91

Twins theoretically have the same DNA, but stuff happens to it inside the womb once the egg splits. I don't know if it's genetic or not, but if one twin is gay, then there are chances up to 70% that the other one is, too, which is a lot higher than just 2 brothers.

9. discostuliveca

Interesting twin topic.

I also have an identical twin. I'm still coming to terms with my sexuality, but I don't think my twin is gay either.

The interesting thing is that I have other sets of twins in the family and while they are not out, I have the suspicion that of all the sets of twins in the family, each one has a gay twin.

10. -Michael-

Itd be fun though because you could be so something really gay....then blame it on your brother who
    would be like "WHAT?"

lol

BTW twins are just about as different as any toher sibling....

othr than looking the exact same obviously.

Different DNA (however similar)
    leading to different fingerprints
    etc...

Oh and apparently if non genetics have an effect on *gayness* then apparently A twin is most likely to be gay....

Because he/she has a duplicate, they end up sub-psychologicly wanting to be different apparently.
    But i believe it is in th genetics.
    Something to do with not having the urge to mate (have babies us maybe a beeter phrasing)

11. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Sympathise with the snooping. That sucks.

I have 2 friends who are identical twins. One of them is (I think) pretty much gay and one is bi-curious. Which is more than average for two people, if you know what i mean. It could just be because they're both exploring their feelings and doing the adolescent thing.

12. Tim

Tim

Actually, identical twins share the same DNA. Fraternal don't. Identical twins only have different fingerprints, everything else is the same last I checked.

Sounds like your brother needs lessons in privacy >_< But at least he seems ok with it, so I guess that's good ^^

13. MeskElil

I agree with Lex. Put a password on your computer...just in case. Set it up in the Control Panel under "Users". You can just set up a really obscure password (probably not anything to do with gayness :slight_smile: ) and that way your brother won't be able to get onto the computer. If he does get on as a guest or whatever, he won't be able to see your private things from your account.
    And talk to him. Just let him know that you really didn't appreciate his snooping, and that you consider it disrespectful and hurtful. Tell him that you really need privacy at this time, but you will talk to him and share things about being gay if he really wants to know. Because that might have been what he was looking for.
    It's annoying and invasive, but it happens. Just put a password on and talk to him. Let him know what you're thinking.
    I hope this helps.

-Mesk

14. otc877

otc877 Guest

Differences in twins can be attributed with differences in hormone exposures. Maybe one fetus was positioned in the womb to receive more testosterone than the other.

Also, do you have any idea why he would be inclined to search 'gay' on your computer? Maybe he's struggling himself, and was curious to know if you were also? Just a thought.

15. Blaz

Blaz Guest

well, you have to account for cases of abuse that may effect only one twin as opposed to both. To tell you the truth, I am beginning to think that there are two types of gays, one that is purely based on psychological trauma, and the other based on hormones in the womb and their effect on the brain. In either case, you have to account for outside influences as well(Besides abuse, just day to day stuff)

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being gay isn't at all related to psychological trauma. That mistaken notion was debunked in the 1970s.

It's also not related to absent fathers and/or domineering mothers.