1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People aren't getting the "hints"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 143kc, Nov 10, 2013.

1. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE how many people support gay marriage on their social media accounts.... But their posting of support is making my job of "coming out" harder. It's to the point where I've posted several hints where people should be able to guess that I'm gay, but no one is "getting" the hints (In conversations I am still assumed straight). I follow zero stereotypes of lesbians (other than the fact that I don't like boys), and am the kind of person you would assume to be a gay supporter, but not gay themself. I really wanted to be able to come out casually (no "Im gay" post), but it seems like I may have to make some very obvious post. "Sigh". I just hate living a lie, but I'm too shy and anxious in a conversation to say, "no, I don't like boys.... I like I girls!". I would love to be completely out, but my "good-girlness" is making that impossible :dry: .

2. English Frenchman

Well, I would say wait until National Coming Out day, but that’s come and gone. You could just change your interest on Facebook from male to female. And let people gradually find out.
    Try dropping more obvious hints, like, "I really want to go Pride this year. I think it would awesome”.
    Or, the easiest (relatively speaking of course) thing to do, get in a relationship with a girl and post it on Facebook. People should get the message.

3. GayNerd

You could drop hints by changing what you have for interested in on Facebook. As it progresses, say things like how beautiful Beyoncé or another woman is. This would be used near the end of dropping hints. But casually dropping in GLBTQ Topics when talking to friends or others could work.
    I hope this helps. :smilewave

4. CupcakeKisses

5. biggayguy

You could post rainbows on your wall.

6. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I posted on national coming out day ( just a picture of a rainbow flag with #nationalcomingoutday), posted a pic when gay marriage was made legal in my state recently, and have quoted Macklemore's same love several times. The big problem is that I am friends with tons of gay-supporters, and they just assume that's what I am.... UGHH.

7. bitchyetough

If your friends with tons lf gay supporters, surely that should make it less of a problem coming out, no? Talk to one of them about it, then another and gradually the word will spread.

8. Data

Data Guest

If we're strictly talking about Facebook and you want to be out on there, I think the first step would be changing your "Interested In" to Female. Set it and forget it. Continue sharing your support pics.

Maybe caption a photo with something that is too strong to be denied, doubted, or second guessed. If people see that, they would go to your profile and see that you're interested in women. They might directly ask you also, in which case a simple "Yes" would suffice.

9. Skov

Well, I have a few thoughts. The first being, that people really don't get the hints. I've dropped hundreds of hints to friends and they've always been shocked when I've finally told them. Everyone is just so used to people being heterosexual, especially if they don't follow the LGBT stereotypes.

My second thought is more of an idea I had recently that I may use when I come out on Facebook. I've seen posts on Facebook recently where someone posts a certain number of things about themselves and then people comment and that person gives them a number of things to post about themselves. I was considering doing this and just putting that I am gay as like one things. Just a thought I had recently