1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheStrongestLink, Nov 10, 2013.

1. TheStrongestLink

My mom and dad are both tolerant of gays. They think it's absolutely normal, and support LGBT rights.

With that said, I still can't come out.
    It's like there's something stopping me inside. I know that they're NOT going to love me any less, nor will they treat me differently, but for some reason I'm afraid to come out. How can I finally overcome this?

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

i was the same way pretty much. i don't really have any step by step advice unfortunately, i found the only way to overcome it was to take the plunge and come out.

3. Data

Data Guest

You can practice in the mirror. Each day when nobody is home/around go to the mirror and say "I'm gay" and after a while it won't sound so odd or be so hard to say.

After that, think about how much weight will lift off your shoulders. It's liberating.

Finally, despite what people will tell you, you don't HAVE to tell someone in person. You can write a note, a letter, whatever you want. It is best to be there when they find out so you can see their body language and facial expression (also they can see your fear). I couldn't tell my dad the words, so I wrote a note and passed it to him. After that I told someone aloud over the phone, and then I had the strength to tell someone aloud in person.

You'll get there. Don't worry. :slight_smile:

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I know what u mean my parents Would love me the same as well but something is keeping me from coming out of the closet to bc well u know idk y it's just like what will happen like would if they say im too young but really I think ill just come out when im ready but like I've had some really good opportunities too but u know I just don't i chicken out but really come out when ur ready and when ur ready hears my advice i really think if u can't verbally say it right a note on your parents bed and say this
    Dear mom and dad,
    I've been hiding this for quite some time and I know you'll be supportive but I know you'll be supportive and I hope u still love me and I just wanted u to know im gay and its who I am
    After that if u have ur license and a car drive away bc you'll feel like a million pounds was lifted off your boulders
    So that's my advice for u and I wish the best for u and whenever u decide to come out good luck :slight_smile:

5. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was EXACTLY the same! I knew that my dad was supportive of gay people, but I somehow convinced myself that he was biphobic (which is dumb because he's awesome). I talked to a lot of my friends about it (I'm on of those people who came out to friends before family), and they kept telling me to go for it.

I ended up sending him an email. I feel more comfortable conveying my feelings/thoughts through the written word than through the spoken word. Also, writing everything down helped me come to terms with the fact that he would be fine with it and helped me calm down. However, hitting the send button was still hard.

I think the best thing to do is just take the leap. Lots of people talk about 'waiting until the time is right' or stuff like that. I think there is not really a 'right time' to tell someone. No matter when you try to tell them, it will always seem like the 'wrong time'. You'll always feel really scared, and that's NORMAL and NATURAL. So just take the leap! Shout it at him from across the house or tell him during breakfast or something if you don't want to make a big deal out of it. But you have to just go for it or it'll never get done.

I hope everything turns out alright! Keep us posted, ja?

(*hug*)

6. Lolachan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My son was similar to you--all his friends knew before me!

I had been waiting to hear it for almost a year...

He was much happier after he told us, and we have a much better relationship.

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2013 at 01:37 AM ----------

My son says to tell you "Nike"--just do it.

7. microbeast101

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What worked for me was to not think about it so much and realize that I would know when I was ready to come out. I didn't force myself to, I did it on my own time when I felt I was ready and it made it much easier to do. Good luck

8. Rainbow Girl

I'm in the exact same situation. I just feel like I'm not ready for them to know yet. What I'm trying to do is increasingly tell more people besides my parents to get some practice.

9. UK_guy

I know how you feel, I felt like this before I came out. I didn't feel comfortable coming out to my parents and the idea of coming out face to face did not appeal to me so I came out via email so that I could say what I wanted without any interruptions. I hope it goes well when you do decide to come out to your parents.