1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was coming out soon, and my dad hates gay people.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by musicalshyguy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. musicalshyguy

I was thinking of whether I should come out or not soon, until this morning when I was eating breakfast, and my dad was watching the news. I heard something about gay marriage being legalized in Hawaii, and my dad said "I don't wanna see 2 guys f***ing kissing" and "I know that guy (on the tv) is gay there!" I can't live with being gay with him living in my house. He'll disown me. When I told my parents a while back I was confused, he said "I don't play that s***." Should I just give up and stay in the closet all my life? I'm so confused and scared.

2. Ruthven

You don't have to stay in the closet all your life. Since it seems your dad is like aggressively against it, and you think he'd disown you, it'd be best to wait until you're out of the house and on your own. Then you can choose whether or not to come out to your parents and they can't mess things up for you.

3. lovely lesbian

Well that sucks and I'm sorry that your dad hates gay people you can't stay in the closet your whole life you have to live your life for you not him and be happy how does your mum feel? About it? And other family members? Hope they don't share the shame views as your dad.

4. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What I might do is come out to everyone that you think you can trust with the information and just not tell your dad. That's what I did (sort of). I was out at school and online for a LONG time before my dad knew, and my sisters still don't know because, like your situation, they are homophobic. So I'd say, come out to whoever you want, whenever you're ready for it. If you don't think your dad will accept you just yet (or ever :\), you can still come out to other people.

Have an awesome day, okay? :slight_smile:

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't say how old you are, but if you are young enough to still be living at home with no alternatives, you should probably not come out to your father right away. You have not said anything about your mother or what she feels about homosexuals, or whether she lives with your father; mothers can sometimes be more supportive since they don't have the "macho" image of themselves to be insecure about. You definitely should NOT assume that you should stay in the closet all your life, only until you are in a safe place and able to take care of yourself financially, and build a support network of friends. It would help if you provide more details about your living situation.

6. BadCanadaJoke

What the others said and also: It's gonna be fine. Don't worry about your dad, or anyone else just make sure you make it out of high school alive XD

When you're out you'll be whoever you want like I did:slight_smile: I still haven't told my dad but that's his problem...

Coming out only serves a good purpose when it brings you closer to people, if it doesn't then it's not worth it. If you're out to yourself and you're honest with yourself that's all that matters... The rest will come at its own time...

Diana Ross & The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love - Lyrics/HQ - YouTube